Squeezing hops

Someone squeezed my hops bags while it was in the boil kettle to get more out flavor.
I was a little nervous and wasn’t sure if this is OK to treat your hops that way???

thanks

Didnt hurt a thing.

I routinely sqeeze the whole hops left in the bottom of my boil kettle to get that last bit of wort. Although, sometimes that last bit is a half gallon or more. Most recently a 10 gallon Pliny clone used 25oz of whole hops, upon sqeezing those out I recovered 1 gallon of wort from them.

I hope Mister Whipple is not a home brewer. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“gregscsu”]Didnt hurt a thing.

Most recently a 10 gallon Pliny clone used 25oz of whole hops, upon sqeezing those out I recovered 1 gallon of wort from them.[/quote]

O_O

I need to start enjoying this practice.

Yeah, me too - dunk your meat hooks in starsan and go to it.

There’s a better way than using your hands! I use a hop spider, since I use a ton of whole hops. At the end of the boil, I typically let my hops steep as I chill. I leave the spoon in the wort at the end of the boil, so it stays sanitized.

I lift up the spider and rest the nylon bag against the side of the kettle. Then I start twisting the top of the rig, so that the hops are compressed down into a tight ball. I use my spoon to press the wort out as I keep cinching it down. I can get a LOT of wort out this way!

Then just lift out the spent hops and proceed with chilling. :cheers: