Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Spruce tip black IPA?

I recently brewed a black IPA and I have a bag a sitka spruce tips I picked in the spring and froze. Would it be a good idea to put spruce tips in the secondary and how much should i put in. I dont know if they would even be good to use any more since they have been frozen since June of this year. Any thoughts?

I’ve had a couple of spruce beers recently, one had a nice flavor and the other I couldn’t tell if it had spruce or not. I’d say they would compliment a black IPA profile quite nicely, I would give it a go. Dump them all in and check the flavor after a few days, when you get where you want to be then rack. If they don’t lend anything, then nothing harmed. I would think the oils would not be harmed by freezing.

Sounds good ill Dump them in. The brew calls for cascade hops five days before bottling should i put the spruce tips in then or go ahead and do it now 2 weeks from bottling?

It would probably be good to add them five days before bottling, and maybe add some of the Cascades at the same time.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com