Spring/Distilled/or purified water?

I plan to do an extract IPA and was wondering what water is the best for this style? I have some gypsum I can add as well.

Where do you live? I’m in the PNW and the only thing I ever do, besides filter, is mix half and half with distilled when I brew a Czech pilsner.

My water here in Central NJ is moderately hard. Actually I guess I’m lucky in that my water is neither extremely hard or extremely soft, so as a result I’ve had good results with a variety of beer “styles”. I only brew with my municipal tap water and the only water treatment I do for every beer is carbon filtration.

Basically, I don’t fret about the water all that much and so far, so good…though if I start having problems I’m certainly open to adjustments with various salts if need be.

[quote=“The Professor”]My water here in Central NJ is moderately hard. Actually I guess I’m lucky in that my water is neither extremely hard or extremely soft, so as a result I’ve had good results with a variety of beer “styles”. I only brew with my municipal tap water and the only water treatment I do for every beer is carbon filtration.

Basically, I don’t fret about the water all that much and so far, so good…though if I start having problems I’m certainly open to adjustments with various salts if need be.[/quote]

Do you know what your water supplier uses to disinfect with? And does the carbon filter remove it. If you don’t mind me asking, what brand of filter system do you use. I would like to install carbon filter for brew water only and not the whole house. I went to our water authority for a water analysis, and what they gave me was a joke. No info at all. Not even Ph!

I would use RO water. All the nutrients you need are in the extract malt. You could add some gypsum in the boil as well. Maybe a tsp or so.

[quote=“The Professor”]My water here in Central NJ is moderately hard. Actually I guess I’m lucky in that my water is neither extremely hard or extremely soft, so as a result I’ve had good results with a variety of beer “styles”. I only brew with my municipal tap water and the only water treatment I do for every beer is carbon filtration.

Basically, I don’t fret about the water all that much and so far, so good…though if I start having problems I’m certainly open to adjustments with various salts if need be.[/quote]
So do you only brew styles that work with your water, then? Water for a stout isn’t going to work for a Helles. Your pH would be way outta whack; that is, if you’re brewing all grain, which I know are. For extract it won’t matter so much.