Sprecher Pub Ale

Greetings from SE 'Sconsin-

Not much available on the web for a Sprecher Brewery Pub Ale Clone, so using the information supplied on the brewery’s website, I decided to take a stab at something. Will head over to NB in the morning to pick up all the goodies, but here’s the website info:

Pub Ale Facts

Alcohol by Volume: 4.5%
Degrees Plato (Initial Gravity): 12P
Weeks Aged: 4
Bitterness Units: 17 IBU
Year First Brewed: 1997
Serving Temperature: 55°
Malts: 2-Row Pale, Caramel, Chocolate, Munich, Pale, Torrified Wheat, Victory
Hops: Goldings, Northern Brewer

and here’s what I formulated:

Ingredients:

Amt Name
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
2.1 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968)

Beersmith says I should be at 16.6 IBU’s with an estimated OG of 1.050, with my effeciency, I am figuring more like an OG of 1.048

I’m looking for feedback on recipe compisition and any last minute tweek suggestions before brew day.

That is a nice beer. Recipe looks good. I might do a darker crystal, maybe 80 or 120. But otherwise I don’t see any obvious changes that I would make. Good luck :cheers:

Brew as is and you can manipulate the crystal and victory later. A half pound of each shouldn’t be too hardcore, your amount of chocolate seems perfect and should add some nice gold tones. If it were me I would drop the victory back to 4 oz and the use of crystal 60L is a good choice and you may even consider using 20-40L as you just want a smidge of color, not a lot of flavor impacts from coloring malts on this beer.

IMHO The use of 80-120L Crystal would lend too many “dark” and “heavy” flavor and mouth feel components and the use of over even a couple of ounces would serve to muddy the overall base beer. I am not the brewmaster so I cant say with certainty but I would think base and munich make up the greatest percentages and the color/ flavor malts were probably used as slight seasoning just to create complexity not actually used where the true flavor of any one malt should shine outside of the two bases.

Thanks for the feedback guys, was exactly what I was looking for. Will most likely brew this on Thursday.