Splitting up a brew day?

I seem to be seriously short on time these days and wanted to know if there is any harm or risk in splitting up my brew day by mashing/sparging one day then doing the boil a few days later. My plan is to collect the wort into my brew pot and stick that into a fridge with a lid until I have time for the boil.

Thanks.

I’ve heard of people doing overnight mashes. Mash-in late at night and start the boil the following morning. You don’t want the wort to sit for days. It will spoil (sour?) with time.

EDIT: You could mash/sparge and collect your runnings, bring it to a quick boil then let it cool and finish the boil the next day, but IMO, that’s even more time consuming.

You should be fine puting it in the refrigerator. I threw my back out brewing one time and put mine in the refrigerator for more than a week and was fine. I read about people cold and hot steeping grains and storing them for two weeks in the refrigerator for for there next brew day without any problems

Hmmm… Looks like a split decision. Guess I’ll play it safe and hold off until I have the time.

Thanks guys.

[quote=“LJb”]Hmmm… Looks like a split decision. Guess I’ll play it safe and hold off until I have the time.

Thanks guys.[/quote]

Or do more extract batches, or save time with BIAB (Brew in a bag).

[quote=“bstein”][quote=“LJb”]Hmmm… Looks like a split decision. Guess I’ll play it safe and hold off until I have the time.

Thanks guys.[/quote]

Or do more extract batches, or save time with BIAB (Brew in a bag).[/quote]

+1. It’s been years since I’ve used my mash tun. I have my BIAB sessions down to about 3.5 hours, from milling to cleanup. If I were any more pinched for time I would just do extract…although I’ve never done extract so not sure it would save any time since I would have to read up how to do it.

BIAB sounds interesting. Never done one so I’ll have to read up on it.

I’d recommend the same. I’m right about 4hrs from pulling out my equipment until putting it all away again. All grain, full volume boil, BIAB with a dunk sparge. The only time I’m over 4hrs is if I’m doing a longer mash, longer boil, or if I decide to brew at night and have a few beers.