Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Split Open and Melt yeast options

My Split Open and Melt Imperial Stout extract kit will arrive this week. At 1.100 this is by far the biggest beer I have brewed, with Plinian and High Rise the distant closest. The recipe only calls for 1 packet of US-05, which in my opinion won’t do, so I am kicking around yeast options and have to choose between the following:

2 packets US-05

1 packet US-05 and 1 packet S-04

Some mixture of US-05, S-04 and Nottingham

2 packets of US-05 seems the safest option to me as I have never mixed dry yeasts. I like the clean fermentation of US-05 but also enjoy the residual sweetness from S-04’s lower attenuation. I’m also very interested in mixing US-05, S-04 and Notty, but that is probably my third choice. I plan on fermenting at 65-67. I’d appreciate thoughts/opinions from those that have experience and/or knowledge of mixing dry yeast.

:cheers:

Mixing yeasts is a crapshoot. You have no idea which will dominate or what kind of results you’ll get. I’d go for 2 packs of 05 unless you feel like experimenting.

Denny,

I agree it is a crapshoot, but what are the potential downfalls? I would be fine with either yeast dominating, since they are both good choices for this beer. I defer to the experts, but it seems to me the best case scenario would be a blend of the two yeast characteristics, and worst case would yield results from either US-05 or S-04. We’ll see how “experimental” I feel when I brew, but for a very big beer that isn’t too much money I may roll the dice. Thanks for the response Denny.

:cheers:

[quote=“jonlong2258”]Denny,

I agree it is a crapshoot, but what are the potential downfalls? I would be fine with either yeast dominating, since they are both good choices for this beer. I defer to the experts, but it seems to me the best case scenario would be a blend of the two yeast characteristics, and worst case would yield results from either US-05 or S-04. We’ll see how “experimental” I feel when I brew, but for a very big beer that isn’t too much money I may roll the dice. Thanks for the response Denny.

:cheers: [/quote]

As long as you’re willing to accept the results, there really isn’t any harm in trying.

For an RIS, my vote is for 2 packets of S-04. 05 is too clean for that beer. If you want to blend, there is a zymurgy or byo article from 1-2 years ago on blending yeasts.

At that gravity, make sure to rehydrate the yeast. You need all the cells in those 2 packs.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com