Split Dry Hop Additions for 10 gal batch

My kegs are running dry and I have a batch to be kegged within the week but I’d like to get a few kegs filled asap. I was thinking of doing a 10 gallon batch using my normal NEIPA grain bill with a whirlpool and dry hop in fermenter and then a different dry hop in each of the 2 kegs that I fill. For instance, all Citra in the 1st dry hop and then one or two others in each keg. Any thoughts or suggestions from anybody that may have done something similar? I have plenty of commercial beer in my fridge but I’m almost in panic mode with the keezer on E!

1 Like

I just saw a paper from Scott Janish talking about this subject… Dry hopping…
I’ll see if I can find out what the papers name was… I’ve dry hopped (DH) many times before… I’ve put up to half pound of cones in a keg and thought it very tasty… Even when the keg kicks… Leave it sit for a few more days… About a pint of the DH juice came out…
Sneezles61

Yes, scottjanish.com… A free excerpt from his up coming book… Lots to read…

I looked up my last NEIPA and I dry hopped twice, once in fermenter, once in keg with 1 ounce each of citra, Columbus, and Amarillo(total six ounces), for a 5 gallon batch. Permission Error | Brewer's Friend

I will check that article out @sneezles61, thanks! That’s pretty much my standard approach @voodoo_donut. The question may not be as clear as I thought so I’ll try to elaborate. I’m looking to hop in the fermenter with a single hop (let’s say Citra) and then hop in keg 1 with citra, mosaic and keg 2 with citra, cashmere. Not necessarily the hops combos I’ll use but trying to get ideas if anybody has done this. I’m essentially trying to make 2 beers from 1 batch.

Generally speaking, I don’t see why not. You will, in fact, have two different IPAs. I still brew 5 gallons so I’ve not done that yet but BIg Boy(pro) brewers likely use a base IPA and riff on it all the time…

This is a sound idea. The nice thing about it too is not only seeing the difference but also seeing how the 2 beers taste after blending.