Split brew

Same here. We had BST wraps for lunch yesterday and the day before . Deee-LISH!

Alright, I’m in the boil… My mash gravity was 1.048… I should gain 10 points from the boil, and hope to get 8-10 for the 2 lbs sugar… I did a split mash too! 1/2 hour at 145… Then another 1/2 hour at 156… I didn’t time the ramp up time, which wasn’t much… 7 minutes. pH was 5.3… I’ve started the steeping of the crystal malts… .5 lbs to 1.25 water, pH corrected to 5.5… So as far as this experiment is going… its very close to target…
1.5 oz US magnum… I’ve got 8 oz cascade for the big batch… Maybe dry hop the IPA with a half oz Columbus… Don’t want to get too dank… Sneezles61

1 Like

Final gravities… IPA-1.062. APA-1.053… This took a little longer do this split batch, but I get 2 different brews from 1- 10 gallon batch… Each fermenter has a bit over 5 gallons… Now that I know I can do this, effectively, I can tweak it up to have 5.5 in each fermenter… The next time I do a split batch, I will make a porter and brown ale… I’m certain there will be a few batches in-between that tho!! Sneezles61

2 Likes

Sounds like the first brew was that APA and the second the ipa which makes more sense. I thought you were going the other wsy

No, the IPA was first… The addition of .5 of crystal and 1 gallon of water, brought the gravity down… I could post what I did today… Hence the 9 gallon batch… I pulled out 5 of the IPA leaving 4 of the IPA in the BK. Then I diluted with the crystal concoction… Sneezles61

Oh I see. Makes sense now

1 Like