Spike Flex+ fermenter

Well I finally pulled the trigger on the flex plus fermenter from Spike. I mainly wanted it to be able to do closed pressure transfers to the keg. I have been playing around with the Brew Bucket and trying to keep co2 in it while transferring and prob not doing a very good job.

So I was thinking… when I pressure transfer into the keg through the liquid out post, would I just keep the keg lid loose and pre-purge with co2 ? I want to keep an eye on it to not overfill. I assume since the dip tube will be quickly submerged in beer filling from the bottom, if there is a blanket of CO2 over it then all is good? The ideal situation is I have just enough beer to fill the keg and leave some space for the gas to carb the beer but I always have a bit extra it seems. Supposedly you can carb in this fermenter as well but the thought of pressure transferring 5 gallons of carbonated beer feels like a mess just waiting to happen.

Going to brew a NEIPA (Treehouse Julius Clone) to try it out. I set it up out of the box today, put 11 psi of gas into it then disconnected and 5 hours later the gauge has not budged. This thing is built like a tank, will def have some weight lifting into the chest freezer.

3 Likes

Filling a keg with CO2 pushing is a very big step toward better beer. …
Like you, I’ve always wrestled with the last bit of beer going into the keg and “how full is too full”? …when you can’t see what you’re doing. I purge the keg and then leave it vented with the vent on the lid open. From what I read after researching this problem on the Internet was that most people say don’t worry about it …if the beer bubbles up through the vent simply close it up and carb like usual. It forces its way into solution. I’ve had that happen once with no evident issues. Usually I cut it close by guesswork and percussing the side of the keg …and maybe leaving a bit of beer behind(which I need anyway to harvest the yeast with a beer cap. )

Nice looking fermenter by the way!

Thanks for the info voodoo, I never thought of just pulling the pressure valve up . I thought a NEIPA would be the perfect beer to try it out on. First time I have ever had anything with those beefy triclamp fittings. I am impressed that it sealed up so well.

Kegging day here…
Clean kegs, about a gallon of star san into keg… seal with 40psi, remove hose, eh! … I will shake the keg… stand it on its head, for about 10 minutes of entertainment… hook up gas connector and bleed the gas out… You will remove the gas line, I have a spare gas connector…all my connectors have the 1/4" flared fitting…
Now hook up a gas connector connected to CO2 about 10-20 psi’s, connector on the liquid with a hose and drain the start san into holding jug… Are you with me so far?
Sneezles61

I have the same flared fitting on my Anvil bucket… There I hook the gas too, and give it about 5psi’s… you’ll hear the gas escaping the bucket…
now drain the pressure in the clean keg, pop the top remove it, but place it over the oval opening (trying not to let much, if anything in)
I have 1/2" silicone tubing that connects to a barbed fitting. Spray with star san, hook up the tubing, slide the lid off far enough to put in the keg… it should just hit the bottom…
My side note: going through the liquid post was real slow, I’m done in… 2 minutes?..
the gas should be pushing your brew… Its a progress, just you do brewing… You’ll get the feel for how it works best for you… whew
Sneezles61

Checked my spike again this morning, still holding 11 psi and no sign of any leakage or seepage… I am very impressed particularly with all those clamps and gaskets everywhere. Looking forward to cold crashing in the fermenter:)

1 Like

THAT gizmo is loaded with ports! :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

A few times I have pushed beer from a commercial keg with a Sanke fitting into a cornie so the keg could be returned. I just connected a “jumper” from liquid out to liquid out with low pressure on the from keg. I purged and pressurized the cornie then slowly pulled the pressure release open and closed to transfer. When the pressure release spews beer it is either full or you need to let the foam settle.

BTW that is one cool looking gadget. Looks rock solid.

Thanks, that’s a good idea. I was afraid of “overfilling” and not leaving enough space for the gas to work its magic, but maybe that is not a valid concern.

I checked again this am and that baby is still holding the 11 psi i charged it with.

1 Like

Yer own brightening tank!
Sneezles61

Could be! Not sure I want to carb in it plus I have no way to dump they yeast out the bottom.

I bought a felx plus a few months ago as well. Haven’t even gotten to brew since moving this year and still taking care of some renovations. Can’t wait to use it though. I really want to experiment fermenting some lagers under pressure at ale temps this summer. I don’t want to try lifting this thing full of liquid in and out of the chest freezer. I do wish they would have fully welded some handles on them so that they could be lifted by them when full. I’m sure you could but I’d rather not risk it

I was wondering where you were off to… Try making a cart to put it on and wheel it where ever it sits whilst employed? Oh, just what you need, one more project… :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Well its been sitting for 5 + days and still has the 11psi. I am super amazed. Time to gather up my ingredients and brew up the NEIPA i guess. My wife will be happy for me to get some of the hops out of her freezer.

1 Like

When I push I put a vent on the gas post with a loop of tubing on it with some star San for a bubbler. This gives me an indication the beer is moving. When beer comes out of the vent the keg is full.

1 Like

That’s a great idea, thanks. Do you leave it completely full during carbonation … or do you take a little out for some “gas space” ? Maybe it doesn’t matter as the gas is being forced in anyway.

I leave it full. I also make sure the gas is on before I hook up the QD for carbing.

1 Like

Got side tracked for a bit, I am going to weigh out all the grains (and very odd dry yeast mix of blends) and try to brew a Treehouse Julius Clone (NEIPA) next week. I am planning to stick a gas connector and hose off the gas input on top or the fermenter (picture shows where I connected to pressurize the fermenter), and put the end of the hose into a starsan solution filled jug for the blow off. After a few days of fermenting I will add the hops to the fermenter and then close off (disconnect the gas connector blow off hose) and let it finished closed and build up a little co2 gas pressure. Then it will sit until finished, at that time I will add gas pressure if needed in order to transfer to the co2 purged keg under pressure.

Crazy Spike plus still shows just under 10psi on the gauge after sitting for about 12 days.

1 Like