Specialty grain in a scaled down brew of caribou slobber

I want to brew a 2.5 gallon version of the caribou slobber and was wondering how it will change the taste if I don’t cut the grains by half? Or is it best to scale them down like the other ingredients. I would think you would leave the black malt the same because its such a small amount but I know a little goes a long way. Here are the amounts listed for the grains.

.25 lbs. briess carmel 80L
.25 lbs. Fawcett pale chocolate
0.125 lbs. Black malt

Thanks. :cheers:

If you don’t scale down it will be different. Might not be bad, just won’t taste quite the same.

[quote=“Wonka”]I want to brew a 2.5 gallon version of the caribou slobber and was wondering how it will change the taste if I don’t cut the grains by half? Or is it best to scale them down like the other ingredients. I would think you would leave the black malt the same because its such a small amount but I know a little goes a long way. Here are the amounts listed for the grains.

.25 lbs. briess carmel 80L
.25 lbs. Fawcett pale chocolate
0.125 lbs. Black malt

Thanks. :cheers: [/quote]

I believe the recipe also calls for .75# of caramel 60, and .5# of caramel 80, rather than the .25# you list. That said, for a half batch, just cut all the ingredients in half.

Caribou Slobber is a brown ale, not a porter or stout and as such, you don’t want a whole lot of roasty flavor like you’re going to get with a lot of specialty malt.

If you use the same amount of spec. grains, it will be more like a stout or porter. It may be very good, but I don’t think it’ll be a brown ale. If a brown is what you are after, just divide the amounts in half for a 2.5 gl batch.

Namaste!!