Sparging using beersmith mobile?

Hello I am trying to understand the sparging calculation‘s that beersmith is showings see Here in the picture https://imgur.com/a/LALbLUf where it say fly sparging with 10.53qt at 168f doesn’t that seem to low of sparge water or am I doing something wrong in setting up my equipment profile in beersmith mobile?

You’re mashing in at a little over 4.5gal then your adding 2.25gal to get to mashout temps. This is why you’re sparging with 2.64gals. Total water is right around 9.5gals which is about right on for a 5gal batch.

If you want more sparge water you can mash a little thicker and take your rice hulls out of the mash water equation. I rinse/soak my hulls over night to limit these issues, as well as make sure they’re clean going into the MT. I’ve had some dirty hulls.

1 Like

Don’t know what the pumpkin and hulls absorb if anything but the grain will hold about say 1.5 gallons. That leaves 8 gallons now what’s your dead space and boil off. That should give you your final volume

1 Like

OK I looked. You show about 1/2gal dead space and you plan on boiling off 2.5 gallons so subract that from the 8 and you get 5. So it adds up. I don’t boil off that much

Same here. With my process, I set it at only 6.5-7% boiloff/hour. It must be fairly accurate because I hit my OG pretty often.