Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Sparging question

long time extract brewer, first time all grain.

got me a mash tun and refracometer at christmas time and im brewing tomorow. dont really know what im going to sparge with. im about to go to home depot and make something really quick but was wondering if you all knew of a good rig before i go. any suggestions would be appreciated

I’d batch sparge unless you’re looking for an excuse to build something.

http://dennybrew.com

thank you that helps a lot and saved me a trip to the store. what a man.

If you have any questions about equipment or technique, let me know.

so what i’ve gathered is i dont want to mash out on my on my first running, im going to recirculate and set the grain bed, run off my wort, and add more hot water to the mash. what temp should my water be at before i add it to my mash tun for the second runnings. i dont have any brewing software yet and beeing my first all grain batch i have to frame of reference to really know. i would guess 180ish but i may be well off. also how long will i mash for on the second runnings or even third if need be. is it 1 hr/running?

my brother got me a kit for my first attempt if it helps to know its the northern brewer oatmeal stout kit. 9lbs in the grain bill

I usually heat the sparge liquor until it just starts boiling (194°F), then let it sit until I need it. I figure that by the time I’m ready to sparge it will be at ~185-190°F, which if you do the math is about what you need to get the grain bed to ~170°F.

You can run off as fast as your equipment will allow. There’s no benefit to a slow sparge like there would be with fly sparging. I use a pump and run off my entire wort volume in <10 min.

Read Dennybrew.com. His instructions are simple and straightforward for building a mash tun and the procedures to use it.

It go to http://www.brewheads.com to get the sparge water calculations. Again that site is simple and straightforward.

Brew in a bag (BIAB) is also a great technique, especially for smaller batches or smaller gravity beers. If you’re making 5 gallons, you need a huge pillowcase sized bag with a rope and pulley system to haul the bag up, but if you want to try a 2.5 or 3 gallon batch, you can use a smaller bag and then just pick it up with your hands when the mash is done. No cooler or stainless braids or recirculation required with BIAB.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com