Sours. Where to start?

[quote=“airlocksniffer”]
I found this at Coscto for around $7.99 for a 750ml. I’m not really into the super funky sours either and I really like this one. Pretty sour but not overly so. Very drinkable. I’ve been told the Costco price is pretty good for this particular beer.[/quote]
I really wish my state allowed grocery stores and big box stores to sell full strength beer. :roll:

I feel your pain, KC. I thought only us southern, barefoot, overall-wearing, don’t drink unless nobody’s looking states were the only ones still living in prohibition (prohibition is over, really??)

HAHA. Maybe someday soon folks will figure it out. Still can’t buy Jack Daniels in Lynchburg.

Ron

Petrus Oud Bruin is outstanding. It’s aged in oak casks. Sour but not overwhelming.

[quote=“Frenchie”]I feel your pain, KC. I thought only us southern, barefoot, overall-wearing, don’t drink unless nobody’s looking states were the only ones still living in prohibition (prohibition is over, really??)

HAHA. Maybe someday soon folks will figure it out. Still can’t buy Jack Daniels in Lynchburg.

Ron[/quote]
There are still a few dry counties in KS too, but fortunately I don’t live anywhere near them. Looks like you’ve still got us beat by a longshot though.

http://www.ksrevenue.org/pdf/abcwetdrymap.pdf http://www.rampantbrands.com/wordpress/ ... rve-ky.pdf

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“airlocksniffer”]
I found this at Coscto for around $7.99 for a 750ml. I’m not really into the super funky sours either and I really like this one. Pretty sour but not overly so. Very drinkable. I’ve been told the Costco price is pretty good for this particular beer.[/quote]
I really wish my state allowed grocery stores and big box stores to sell full strength beer. :roll: [/quote]
Same here. 4.7% limit on anything not sold from the state monopoly liquor stores.
Actually, sometimes I just wish we had big box stores, but that’s a different issue, and sometimes I’m glad we don’t.

[quote=“rebuiltcellars”][quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“airlocksniffer”]
I really wish my state allowed grocery stores and big box stores to sell full strength beer. :roll: [/quote]
Same here. 4.7% limit on anything not sold from the state monopoly liquor stores.
Actually, sometimes I just wish we had big box stores, but that’s a different issue, and sometimes I’m glad we don’t.[/quote]
PA keeps talking about disbanding the state-owned monopoly liquor stores, but for a couple of years now, it’s only been talk. And there’s a different system for beer. So if you want to throw a party in PA it’s one store for groceries, another for beer, and a third for booze.

Favorite way of working with those kinds of laws was a sto^H^H^H pair of stores I ran across in Tennesee: Side-by-side storefronts. One sold beer, one sold liquor. Between them, a little cashier’s booth was installed, with separate cash registers under windows that opened into each side.

There was a silver lining to the “no beer in liquor stores” rule, which was that the bigger towns and cities always had at least one specialized beer store with a really outstanding selection. In other states with more permissive laws that I’ve spent time in it often seemed like the liquor stores in most towns were selling just enough craft beer to keep most people happy without ever venturing much outside the New Sambita Fish Hook-hand Island end of the market.

A buddy of mine moved from Montana to PA and his description of how to get beer blew my mind. We do have some odd brewery tap room laws (3 pint max, no serving after 8 pm) but at least I can pick up a sixer at the grocery store with my regular groceries for a reasonable price ($6-$8). I would think homebrewing would be very popular in those states with restrictive alcohol laws. We still can only get liquor at the liquor store or bar.

Jolly Pumpkin - La Roja is the beer that introduced me to sours. It truly is like a red wine. At $17 a bottle I do not have it all that often but I try to keep one bottle of it in my “cellar” in case the urge strikes me. I recommend giving it a try. It is pretty available.

Pretty much every single beer they make is exceptional, and they range in sourness. The Bam Bier and Bam Noir are both farmhouse ales without too much sourness. The Noir tastes like it has Brett on in to me, though I’ve never been able to confirm this. I asked the bartender at their tasting room in Traverse City, MI last week and he had no idea what I was talking about.

On the more extreme end of the spectrum is the Madrugada Obscura, which is a sour stout. Sour+roast+hops shouldn’t be good, but it is.

The final one I’d point out is the Petrus Oak Aged Pale. Spritzy and lemony, without much overt fruit character. Also on the “very sour” end of the spectrum, although nearly everyone I’ve introduced to it has liked it. I think that’s because it tastes like an oaky San Pellegrino lemon soda, in a good way.

Pretty much every single beer they make is exceptional, and they range in sourness. The Bam Bier and Bam Noir are both farmhouse ales without too much sourness. The Noir tastes like it has Brett on in to me, though I’ve never been able to confirm this. I asked the bartender at their tasting room in Traverse City, MI last week and he had no idea what I was talking about.

On the more extreme end of the spectrum is the Madrugada Obscura, which is a sour stout. Sour+roast+hops shouldn’t be good, but it is.

The final one I’d point out is the Petrus Oak Aged Pale. Spritzy and lemony, without much overt fruit character. Also on the “very sour” end of the spectrum, although nearly everyone I’ve introduced to it has liked it. I think that’s because it tastes like an oaky San Pellegrino lemon soda, in a good way.[/quote]

Sour and roasty pair together very well. Pertrys is not very sour at all compared to similar Flanders

[quote=“grainbelt”]
Sour and roasty pair together very well. Pertrys is not very sour at all compared to similar Flanders[/quote]

Are you sure you’re not referring to their Oud Bruin? I’d certainly agree that particular beer isn’t very sour…the Aged Pale, not so much. At least to my taste buds–it could also be that’s the Aged Pale isn’t quite as sweet as Duchesse de Bourgogne or Grand Cru and therefore seems more sour.

OK, so I went ahead and tried my first sour yesterday. I was at the grocery store checking out what new beers they have and they had a Rodenbach 2011 Vintage Oak Aged Ale. It was classified as a Flanders Red-Brown on the bottle.

Served at around 45 degrees in a snifter. Very little head. The aroma was terrible. It smelled like sweat and vinegar. The flavor was interesting. Definitely a lot of “sour” immediately but as that faded I tasted some cherry and almost wine-like complexity. The oak hit on the back end and wasn’t overwhelming.

I will classify this as “interesting.” I’m glad I tried it to say that I did, but I won’t even be finishing the bottle. In fact, I couldn’t even finish my glass it was just too “out there.” It started to taste like spoiled carbonated wine after a while and the smell was just disgusting. That was my $17 experiment. I hate wasting money but I can’t finish the bottle.

[quote=“mattnaik”]OK, so I went ahead and tried my first sour yesterday. I was at the grocery store checking out what new beers they have and they had a Rodenbach 2011 Vintage Oak Aged Ale. It was classified as a Flanders Red-Brown on the bottle.

Served at around 45 degrees in a snifter. Very little head. The aroma was terrible. It smelled like sweat and vinegar. The flavor was interesting. Definitely a lot of “sour” immediately but as that faded I tasted some cherry and almost wine-like complexity. The oak hit on the back end and wasn’t overwhelming.

I will classify this as “interesting.” I’m glad I tried it to say that I did, but I won’t even be finishing the bottle. In fact, I couldn’t even finish my glass it was just too “out there.” It started to taste like spoiled carbonated wine after a while and the smell was just disgusting. That was my $17 experiment. I hate wasting money but I can’t finish the bottle.[/quote]

Thats really expensive for Rodenbach, Rodenbach is probably one of the most available sours and usually much cheaper…mmm that smell is awesome. Most Sours are very wine like and extremly complex. For a flanders you jumped in to the one of the most acetic/sour ones besides a few others like JP, and Cuvee de jacobbins. You have only hit one side of a large spectrum.

He’s referring to Rodenbach vintage, which is the unblended “aged” beer. $17 is about the going rate. Grand Cru is 66/33% aged to unaged and I believe Rodenbach classic is 33/66. Both of these can be had around $10.

For me, I like the Grand Cru the best, but the vintage is nice as a treat.

[quote=“Wahoo”]He’s referring to Rodenbach vintage, which is the unblended “aged” beer. $17 is about the going rate. Grand Cru is 66/33% aged to unaged and I believe Rodenbach classic is 33/66. Both of these can be had around $10.

For me, I like the Grand Cru the best, but the vintage is nice as a treat.[/quote]
I know i read it, thats way expensive around here

I just had 2013 Goose Island Lolita and 2013 O’Dell Friek on tap last night. They were both awesome. Friek was a touch more tart and complex. Lolita would probably appeal to a new sour drinker a bit more, because the flavor and tartness are a bit less assertive

While out at dinner last night I told my wife (who hates beer) about my friends whose wives also hate beer, but strangely they like sours. She smelled my Lolita and acknowledged that it did not smell repulsive. She then took a sip (unprecedented), paused and then took another sip. She actually didn’t mind it. She said it reminded her more of wine than beer.

Lolita is amazing. I find that it is better in the bottle than on draft, which is actually very typical of sour beers. These beers, at least the bottle conditioned ones, tend to improve and get more sour as time goes on. With the keg product, it’s typically kept cold once it’s packaged so it doesn’t get to develop the additional flavors from bottle conditioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3PIrY0TBU0

I was able to procure a couple bottles of Friek today. My only regret is not buying ALL of the bottles they had. Sometimes having a conscience sucks.