Sour/tart smell

OK usually i dont worry about contamination cause i am very careful cleaning and sanitizing…but i have a Imperial amber 9 days in and i went to replace the blow off with a silicone stopper airlock and i got this sour smell…granted the beer is still very green but the smell is odd… there is about 6 oz of hops which i cannot smell a hint of …the best i can describe it is sour tart co2 smell…Its only been in the carboy for 9 days can bacterias and wild yeast take over that quick?..I had a very vigorus active phase of fermentation which lasted a good 7 days and a pretty short lag time (24 hours)…Could this be byproucts of fermentation i am smelling? I used WL001 and pitched at 65-66 and did the bulk of fermentation @ 68 (beer temp not air)…A good way to describe it actually is orange pith without the orange if that makes any sense…it does not smell like beer at all…pretty bummed

I would not worry. I always get wild yeast near the opening of the fermenter and with active fermentation the dried beer/yeast will smell sour. The best test you can do is take a sample of the beer and taste it and if it does not taste sour/green olive juice you are fine.

Denny if you pass this thread …i would like to hear your thoughts