Sorachi Ace Recipes

Anyone have some beers where their happy with the use of Sorachi Ace? I’ve got a pound of them and I’m unsure how to use them. Sounds like some people pick up a distinct dill taste when they are used solo so maybe it is best used with other hops? I see several using them with a Saison but I’m not a big fan of Belgian yeast driven styles.

Would take input on Nelson Sauvin too, same issue as Sorachi, got a pound and not certain how to use them. Also sounds like they can have a pretty dominant flavor when used solo.

:cheers:

First of all, everyone’s palate is different, and hops can vary significantly from year to year and grower to grower. If you can easily do a quick 1-gallon batch of pale ale, then I would highly recommend it just to test out how these hops taste to you.

I don’t have a heck of a lot of experience with Sorachi on its own yet, but I’m a big fan of Nelson. To my palate, the vinous aroma from Nelson can overwhelm the flavor of other hops, so it is well-suited to a single hop brew. Unlike the dill from Sorachi or the garlic from Summit, I find this vinous character to be quite desirable. It is a great IPA hop, as it has that classic west-coast grapefruit flavor/aroma to go with the white wine.

I’ve also dry-hopped a cider with Nelson, which ended up with an amazing aroma similiar to a sweet German Riesling. You could even possibly simulate aging in a white wine barrel by using oak and dry hopping with Nelson. Nelson holds a lot of possibilities for the adventurous brewer.

I like the lemon of Sorachi. Never have had dill.

I have grown particularly fond of a simple IPA with the following combo: Sorachi, Centennial, Summit, and Citra.
The Tsunami IPA…FWH with an ounce of Sorachi.
Then hopburst and stand with .5 ounce of each at 15 10 5 0 Stand.
Dry hop with copious amounts of each…

Yea, but what about Beglian Style? :wink:

Have fun.

11% AA - you can always use it for bittering.