Sometimes

… if I have a partially-used, opened packet of hops in the freezer, I’ll open it up and give it a deep, Dennis Hopper (in “Blue Velvet”) sniff, just because I like the scent of hops so much. This evening, it was Citra.

Although I totally agree with you, and I never miss a chance to get a nice big whiff of hops, every time you do that you are exposing the hops to O2 which is degrading the hops. They will stay fresh for a long time if vac sealed and placed in a dark bag in the freezer. Of course and can’t smell them then…

yeah i would seal those bad boys up. Don’t want them tasting like Totino’s Pizza Rolls.

I can’t really tell the difference between hops, unless I rub a few pellets between my palms then open up a small crook in my hand and give it the 'ol Dennis Hopper. May be BS, but I understand that in doing that (creating heat), you are aerosolizing some of the oils that contain the aroma compounds.

I’ve also heard that making hop teas is better than Ambien, but never tried it, as I usually don’t have a problem sleeping…

Not to worry.

I have only one opened packet so far, and half of it was divided into 1/10th ounce (2.8 gram) portions. I got heavy re-sealable small parts bags and put each 2.8 g portion into its own baggie. The remaining 1/2 ounce was rolled up and taped tightly closed, and all of the portions are stored inside heavy Ziploc freezer bags. Same with all of my unopened stock.

I Dennis Hoppered one 2.8 g baggie, my sacrificial portion. All tolled, a small price to pay for my compulsion.

I have to ask… why 1/10th oz bags? I almost never use less than 1/4 - 1/2 oz. And for late additions it’s usually whole ounces.

[quote=“dobe12”]I have to ask… why 1/10th oz bags? I almost never use less than 1/4 - 1/2 oz. And for late additions it’s usually whole ounces.[/quote][sarcasm]I think he is buying hops in bulk (1 oz at a time) and then sealing up in smaller quantities. [/sarcasm]Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

The small amounts of hops are for one-gallon test batches.