Some kind of Belgian

So I started out today looking at yeast strains and I found one that sounded good to me. I read a couple reviews and one said they had brewed a Hennepin clone recipe. I remember seeing a case of it at a beer store once and I wanted to try it but didn’t have the cash at the time. With a little research I’ve come up with this so far.

9.15 lbs Pilsen Malt Syrup
2 lbs light or blanc candi sugar - not sure which I want to use yet

Ommegang says on there site they use Styrian Goldings and Spalter Select.

I was thinking of using

1.6 oz Styrian Goldings at 75 min
.5 oz German Spalt at 15 min

.1 oz sweet orange peel at 60 min
.03 oz crystalized ginger 10 min
.02 oz fresh ground coriander at 10 min
.02 oz grains of paradise at 10 min

I was wondering if anyone had any input on the recipe and if anyone new what a good grain might be for steeping.

Cheers

I believe you need some wheat in there and while you can certainly use candi sugar you’re wasting money on it and can use cane or beet sugar instead.

Isn’t candi sugar refined from beets? How much wheat do you think I should use?

Yes, at 5 times the price.

I see. So how does 2 lbs Pilsen malt sound as a steeping grain?

[quote=“Jriley08”]I see. So how does 2 lbs Pilsen malt sound as a steeping grain?[/quote]Pilsner requires mashing - steeping base malts will add complex starches to the beer and could result in haze. You can steep crystal and roasted malts. But the only difference between steeping and mashing is the volume of water and you can easily do a mini-mash with some Pilsner and wheat malt (maybe 10% of the grain bill).

I haven’t tried mini mashing yet. What would I need to do that? I’m sure it’s really easy I just can’t wrap my head around it. I have a 9 gallon and 5 gallon kettle so volume is no problem. I also forgot to mention that this recipe is a 5.5 gallon.

[quote=“Jriley08”]I haven’t tried mini mashing yet. What would I need to do that?[/quote]With your two kettles, a pack of 5-gal nylon paint-strainer bags is all you need to buy. Put a half-gallon of water per lb of grain in a kettle, heat to 150-160F, put the crushed grain in a bag (or bags) and dunk in the kettle (keep the top of the bag out of the water), stir well, check temp to make sure it’s in the 148-156F range, put the lid on the kettle to hold the bag top, then wrap the kettle with a blanket. After 30 minutes, stir the grain again, check the temp and add some heat if you need it (low flame, stir constantly inside the grain bag to keep heat distributed), re-wrap the kettle, and start the rest of your water heating to 170F. After another 30 minutes, pull the grain bag(s) out of the first kettle, dunk in the second and stir to mix well, then discard the grain and combine the kettles. Proceed as normal from this point.

Okay, so how do I figure out how much base malt I need to get the same OG when I take away some of my LME? I was thinking about taking away 3.15 lbs so I didn’t have to buy another small jug and use only half of it.

I would use 2x the weight of the extract for a first-time mini-mash.

Okay so how does 4 lbs Belgian Pilsner and 1 lbs torrified wheat sound?

[quote=“Jriley08”]Okay so how does 4 lbs Belgian Pilsner and 1 lbs torrified wheat sound?[/quote]Might end up a little light on the OG, depending on your mash efficiency, but it’ll work.

I can go a little bigger if need be. I’ve got a brew in a bag kit ordered and I’m going to give a go at that first before I try this one.

Not necessarily, and even if it is, it makes no difference to the beer.

So, what sugar can I use that isn’t going to impart any flavor or coloring and still boost gravity?

+1 to all the ‘sugar’ advice you are getting above, but also consider the following: a good belgian yeast strain, fermented at the right temperature (start low, slowly raise during fermentation as a general rule) doesn’t need spices added to it, it generates plenty of great character (pepper, citrus peel, some slight funk, coriander, mmmmmm, mmmm, mmm) with its own phenolics and esters.

YMMV, but I have received feedback in comps (and given it in comps) that subtlety is a great thing when employed in Belgian-inspired beers (actually, any beer!). It does look like you are adding tiny tiny amounts of each, so you should be good to go if you want to try it with the spices/adjuncts.

:cheers:

Table sugar or corn sugar.

Thanks for all the help I’ll let you know how it turns out.