Some bad news for homebrew competitions

Amen.

I have a beer bar that thinks he is helping the local home brewers by having parties where we can bring 5-10 gallons of our drinks to share with people that have paid him a door fee.

Sorry, it may only “cost” me $15-25 to make a fine brew. But I’m not giving it away so someone else can make a buck.

Now, if it was some type of 503c fundraiser. Someone has posted in the past, on another board possibly, that they brew a lot of beer for a breast cancer fund raiser walk-a-thon. They sell glasses. And drinks are free. It’s in KS or MO I believe.

These kind of laws are in place because they prevent the 3 Tier System from being bypassed…even on a local homebrew level.

If you’re looking for another reason to hate Annheiser Busch, watch Beer Wars on Netflix.

Anyways, back on topic…

It really boils down to 2 things: taxation and regulation (for health department reasons).

The taxation is moot, is others have pointed out and as other states have clearly thought was not that big of a deal.

As for the health concerns with unregulated food product…I guess it’s a valuable concern…but, again, other states don’t seem to think its that important.

After all, if its good enough for millions of people to make and consume at home, why is it not good enough for public consumption?

When I read about this BBQ comp slash homebrew deal before it was ever posted on the forum with a sensationalist post name which is completely wrong in the first place it seemed to me like a hokey deal anyway.
I mean in a way that Nighthawk spoke to that these guys were “promoting” homebrewers wares by giving you a chance to serve your homebrew to the “public” while they collect ticket fees and pay to keep their own lights on. I have seen many other “promoters” and bars etc… trying to run things like this and I call BS also. Like I spoke to already their is a clear right and wrong way to do business in MN and this hokey pokey route is definitely not a boon to our hobby whatsoever.

What does the individual homebrewer have to gain in these types of endeavors?? If the approval of your peers/ family/ friends is not enough you must be a glamor gal/guy and need constant approval of your beer and/or you just have time and money to blow. In the later then simply become a craft brewer as you will need plenty of capital and freetime to get started and eventually you may see return on your investment.

I have had literally 100’s of proposals that go like this:
We really enjoy your beer/s can we buy/ or provide money for you to brew 2-10+ kegs for our wedding, birthday, party etc…

No, I am sorry with the cost of materials plus the amount of time it takes I would honestly have to charge far more than a regular craft sixtel will cost you.

No that’s fine whats your price?

Craft sixtels are on avearge $40-$75 for a five gallon keg and if I were to actually charge you for my time and other it would be well over a hundred bucks a keg. Craft brewers are set up to make LOTs of beer at a time in the most efficient ways possible and so even after a distributor adds his/ her markup you still get it for under $75 a keg.

Oh, I see. Never thought of it like that. Can you help me find a good retailer that can provide me with kegs for my function?

That I can do.

Plus I have had many “promoters” & bar owners approach me for deals like this BBQ shindig and I again tell them exactly what I tell individuals that want to pay to play for one keg. Although I then refer them to some of my aforementioned tons of small, fledgling MN brewers and distributors that can help thier event be a success.

With these hokey back alley events etc… thier is usually a cost savings mindset taking place by the “promoters” and in many cases I have to ask/ wonder where is your dram shop/ liquor liability insurance for said event? Since the guy runs it as a BBQ and homebrew event he should have to carry the same insurance and laws a craft brewer fest would need along with strict adherence to carding/overservice policy and professionals like craft brewers that will have these concerns in mind firstly, whearas a bunch of homebrewers with nothing to gain or lose could care less possibly unless they see a subpoena the next day/week for a family sueing them for a injury/ death due to overservice personally along with said promoter that is only going to watch his own back in most cases. This presents only a civil matter many criminal charges are sure to follow. Doing business like this is never on the “up and up” and you deserve to lose your livelihood, freedom if your the the “promoter” actively skirting laws or a woefully stupid homebrewer allowing themselves to become involved with a deal like this opening themselves up to can o worms legally.

There are many, many aspects the OP or his fanboys are not thinking about and this whole thread should be removed by mods as it is incorrect at best and misleading to the homebrewing community that may think they cannot participate in comps which is further from the truth than an alien sasquatch making homebrew. Maybe I will use that last line to create a new thread speaking to yeast ranching just to get some views LOL.

Ok, let me just clear this up because this is getting way out of hand. If the title was slightly misleading I apologize but we need to respect each other better.
The whole deal about posting the link was to just share a story, not to fuel rants (even though I am guilty of that), and obviously I failed on the intent. It was disappointing to find out that a week before the event that homebrew can’t be shared with the public. It’s a chance for people, including myself because I don’t enter competitions,to sample what other local homebrewers are creating. Can people still get together at someone’s house and share brew? Absolutely, but this was a planned event by a small remote town so it had some impact.
I’m sure the law will change in due time with the proper actions, it was just the timing that made it a disappointing story.

I’m not saying this is the end of the world, I’m not saying this is a government gone bad, I’m not saying this affects everyone and anyone.

I hope this clears up some of the issues.

We finally got the law changed in Illinois, but not as well as Oregon or Wisconsin - for an event like that which is being proposed, the promoter has to get a special license and there has to be a competition (homebrew judging, but not sampled by the public) or tasting (the servings are then real small at like 2ozs per glass). Insurance is required, as the permit is limited to those holding a license of another kind already, if I recall correctly…