Soda "brewing" with Splenda

. . . anyone tried It ? I realize I’m going to need real sugar for priming the champagne yeast, but has anyone else tried a Splenda-based soda batch ? I know the SodaClub syrups used with their carbonation/bottling system have Splenda-based variants, but looking for a solution for us poor Diabetic brewers out there. . .

I haven’t tried it myself, but just as a wild guess I think it might even be easier than using regular sugar. Assuming Splenda isn’t fermentable (seems like a pretty safe assumption), the yeast would just eat whatever sugar you add for priming and then stop. So you’d have better control over the level of carbonation and wouldn’t have to worry so much about bottle bombs.

I’ve used it in rootbeer, gives less body than sugar but it works OK.

Add more insulin to the batch! J/k

have you made root beer before? I’m thinking about doing that with my type 1 child but I’m not sure how to count the right grams.

any tips on that?

[quote=“sammysam”]Add more insulin to the batch! J/k

have you made root beer before? I’m thinking about doing that with my type 1 child but I’m not sure how to count the right grams.

any tips on that?[/quote]

When you’re making something like Kool Aid, the recommended amount is 1 cup of the granulated Splenda for a 2-quart batch. That may be a bit sweet for some people’s tastes, so maybe start at 1.5 cups per gallon and adjust as needed.

If you’re asking about making root beer with sugar, weigh the sugar with a gram scale and add it to a known volume of liquid so you know exactly how many grams per volume, then calculate the grams from the serving size. If you make it with Splenda and just add enough sugar to carbonate, I don’t think it would count as any sugar.

I used to make naturally carbonated rootbeer (with sugar as sweetener) and the nephews all liked it. Years later I was told that theey were getting a little buzz off the stuff.

I was thinking of using it as an excuse to start kegging as well. That way I don’t have to bottle carb or allow it to build up any alcohol.