So what next?

I brew a 70/- almost every year - there is nothing boring about them, just an easy drinking beer that goes down great in early fall weather. Just kegged one a couple weeks ago.

To the larger question though, I think Pietro is exactly right, even if he uses “boring” when he should be labeling these beers “simple” or “straightforward”. Brew a bunch of simple beers, and brew several batches of the same beer several times in a row to really learn how to control your system. I got pretty sick of Wit after brewing three batches in a row some years ago, but my beers got far more consistent after that.[/quote]

right, I use the term ‘boring’ somewhat jokingly and sarcastically since homebrewing typically draws a creative crowd that wants to make the off-the-wall stuff before learning to make the ‘straightforward’ stuff. I agree, no beer is boring, if its made well.

70/-'s are just not my bag. I’d rather have a session beer of just about any other persuasion (belgian/paters; german; bohemian; dry stouts; american (hoppy/cream ale/good light lagers); or most likely, british)

I brew a 70/- almost every year - there is nothing boring about them, just an easy drinking beer that goes down great in early fall weather. Just kegged one a couple weeks ago.

To the larger question though, I think Pietro is exactly right, even if he uses “boring” when he should be labeling these beers “simple” or “straightforward”. Brew a bunch of simple beers, and brew several batches of the same beer several times in a row to really learn how to control your system. I got pretty sick of Wit after brewing three batches in a row some years ago, but my beers got far more consistent after that.[/quote]

Thanks guys. I think an Old Ale to have next winter would be great. I have a pale recipe I came up with. I am going to brew again and change a bit.

I understand the idea of going simple to get the art of brewing down. Thanks.

Mr. Octabird
American Made!

[quote=“jd14t”]Only you can decide.

That’s like asking us what you should have for supper.

Not to be blunt, but nobody really cares but yourself.

Brew what you like to drink!
[/quote]

Yeah, like jd14t said, brew what you like to drink. Even if you decide to use Briess malt. Only you can decide.