SN Ruthless Rye 2012

[quote=“El Capitan”]On the other hand, it kind of made me think, “I could have brewed a whole keg of this for about the same price as this 12-pack.”
[/quote]

Maybe a rye pale ale. $17 or so for a 12 pack in my parts. I would expect about at least $25 for a five gallon batch of a similar beer. But there is no denying that SN made it way better than I could have. I’d be very interested in someone’s homebrew if they were confident it could stand up to SN’s brews.

My new favorite. I picked up a six pack last week and have been enjoying one every other night. What restraint! I like the spiciness of the Rye and the citrus of what must be Citra. I would love to brew this one!

I did the same. It’s like the first bight out of an apple, you need to space out each tasting by at least a day to fully enjoy.

No Citra. It’s an experimental hop, currently named X-366. We used some in the alt I brewed there at Beer Camp and I also brought home a couple lb. to brew with. It kinda tastes like a cross between Columbus, Citra, and Amarillo.

[quote=“Denny”]
No Citra. It’s an experimental hop, currently named X-366. We used some in the alt I brewed there at Beer Camp and I also brought home a couple lb. to brew with. It kinda tastes like a cross between Columbus, Citra, and Amarillo.[/quote]

Sounds like an awesome hop. I hope it becomes available

No Citra. It’s an experimental hop, currently named X-366. We used some in the alt I brewed there at Beer Camp and I also brought home a couple lb. to brew with. It kinda tastes like a cross between Columbus, Citra, and Amarillo.[/quote]

It does say it’s dry hopped with Citra on their website.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/ruthless.html

I love this beer.

Who will take a shot at a recipe? So far we know it has a 2-row base, crystal and chocolate malts, and its hopped with chinook, mystery hops similary to Ccolumbus Citra Amarillo, and dry hopped with chinook, mystery and citra.

I’ll answer my own question:

Recipe based on 5.5 gallons and 70% efficiency

2 row 11# 80%
Rye Malt 1.5# 11%
Crystal 40 1# 7.3%
Chocolate .25# 1.8%

Chinook .75 60 41.3 IBU
Columbus .25 40 12.1 IBU
Amarillo .25 40 8.0 IBU
Citra .5 dry
Amarillo .5 dry
Chinook .5 dry

OG: 1.061
15.06 Plato

IBUs: 61.4

SRM: 14.6

Whadya think?

[quote=“Lynux”]It does say it’s dry hopped with Citra on their website.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/ruthless.html[/quote]

Why so it does! The version I tried at the brewery wasn’t, but it wasn’t the finished recipe at that point.

Might as well use what you have in the freezer for mass production. :wink:

I will be interested to try. Only 11 % rye?

I finally found a six of this at Trader Joe’s and I really like it. I don’t know that I’ve had a beer bittered with Bravo before. I really like it, not as harsh as Chinook but a little more oomph than Columbus.

I’ve got mine as of today! TGIFandclosetobeer30

To me, there’s something unpleasant in the finish - kind of an oily/metallic character that makes me want another swig just to get that out of my mouth. A strange lingering character that I don’t really like. I’ve only had 2 so far - will have to have another tonight.

Might as well use what you have in the freezer for mass production. :wink:

I will be interested to try. Only 11 % rye?[/quote]

Yep. Their system won’t allow them to lauter more than that without a stuck runoff.

I take it back - this beer is delicious exactly as-is. Too bad it’s a seasonal and not a year-round brew!

I finally picked some up and am surprised at how much of the rye character comes through at only 11% of the grist. It also wasn’t quite as hoppy in the nose as I would have expected. Nice quaffable beer but I want more late hops.

Aside from this being a fantastic beer, the bottles break. My dear wife opened my beer fridge yesterday and knocked over a bottle onto the garage floor, much to my disappointment. She confessed to the incident and subsequent tragedy and also cleaned up the mess. I’ve forgiven.

Yep, glass breaks when you drop it on concrete… :lol:

Yep, glass breaks when you drop it on concrete… :lol: [/quote]
:shock:

I really enjoy this beer. I had it first on tap and it was fantastic! It loses some in the bottle, but not much. Its my new favorite late winter/early spring seasonal. $16 for a twelve. Not too bad.