Smashing Pumpkin Ale thoughts

Have any of you all brewed the Smashing Pumpkin Ale?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/smas ... xtract-kit

It looks like a tasty beer for the fall but wanted to see everyone’s thoughts on it.

Thanks,

Luke

I have and everyone enjoyed it. I did the extract version too. Turned out pretty good, although I added a little more pumpkin spice in the secondary as I like it to be a little over the top with that flavor.

The directions as is allow for a very subtle hint of pumpkin pie spice, so take that into consideration. Was a big hit at a fall party I had.

I did the all grain version and added three 15 oz cans of Libby’s pie pumpkin to the mash. (I Mash in a Bag, so no stuck sparge.) I also did my own spice blend consisting of a 2:1:1 mixture of cinnamon, cloves and ginger, because I hate the taste of nutmeg. (For my five gallon batch I used 2 tsp of ground cinnamon, and 1 tsp each of ground cloves and ground ginger.) I added the spice during the last ten minutes of the boil and then made a tincture of the same spice blend with vodka, which I allowed to steep while the batch was fermenting, and then adjusted the spice level at bottling. I also added 1 lb of lactose at bottling. It turned out great, and everyone who tried it really liked it.

Have you tried using a roasted pumpkin? Or what made you decide to use canned pumpkin pie filling?
Don’t get me wrong, that sounds great… Just curious.

I read another review of a pumpkin Ale where they used 2 cans of pumpkin, but they baked it for 20 min with some brown sugar and threw it into the wort boil and part in the primary. He said it gave it a nice smokey pumpkin taste that came out after conditioning! It sounded delish.

I’ve done this kit as per the instructions (no extra pumpkin/spices). It was 5gl extract, and it was a crowd pleaser. Had a BYOB Halloween party that we served it at and it was gone well before anyone’s cooler was empty. Nice copper ale with a hint of pumpkin spice on the finish, and in the initial nose of it.
This was the kit that got my non beer snob-BMC-drinking friends to try any and all of the rest of my beers. I’ve since switched to all grain and will probably do this beer again soon, with extra pumpkin & spices. :cheers:

I brewed this kit extract last year and it was a big hit. From reading around on the interwebs, I decided to add 2 lbs 6 row, 1 lb caramel 40L, and 1/2lb biscuit to my partial mash with 3 lbs of LIbby’s Canned Pumpkin which I baked at 350 with brown sugar and cinnamon sugar for 45 mins. I am going to try it again this year although I am going to do AG this year as I have converted away from extract. I also added 2 vanilla beans split, scraped, and quartered soaked in vodka for a week before adding to secondary one week before kegging.

:cheers:
Rad

Everyone’s input has been very helpful - Thank You!

Ease of use. And just to be clear, I used 100% pumpkin from a can, not premixed pumpkin pie filling from a can. It’s cheaper, easier to find and less work that working with whole pumpkin. That and I’ve honestly never seen pie pumpkins for sale anywhere, which are smaller and denser than the pumpkins used for Jack O’ Lanterns at Halloween…

Ease of use. And just to be clear, I used 100% pumpkin from a can, not premixed pumpkin pie filling from a can. It’s cheaper, easier to find and less work that working with whole pumpkin. That and I’ve honestly never seen pie pumpkins for sale anywhere, which are smaller and denser than the pumpkins used for Jack O’ Lanterns at Halloween…[/quote]

I understand you now. When you said Libby’s pie pumpkin in your first post i assumed you meant the pie filling. I plan on using your idea of canned pumpkin when I do this brew. It sounds much easier than gutting and baking a whole pumpkin- or three. Thanks for your idea.

I made this last year with the extract kit. I did add 1lb Lactose at the end of the boil, added some molasses and steeped the canned pumpkin along with the specialty grains. I found the spice light to added more to the bottling sugar. Came out great and everyone enjoyed it. This year I will be doing BIAB but will probably do the same as last year with the lactose and spice. Although I might up both the lactose and the spice again as I really want that pumpkin pie flavor, or what we perceive. Also have heard good things about adding 1 can of squash as it gives more of a gourde flavor to it.

I brewed another pumpkin ale last year and I used 2 10 oz cans of cooked pumpkin and Amylase Enzyme in one gallon of water to cook. As follows: bring mixture to 150 degrees and let sit for 30 minutes, make sure solution is mixed well. Bring up to 170 degrees, turn off heat and let settle for 30 minutes. Pour liquid into the kettle for brewing.

I will be using this procedure when I brew my Smashing Pumpkin Ale next weekend. The last time this gave the beer a nice and mellow pumpkin flavor. Nothing over the top just a hint.