Smash!

Has anyone done the SMASH yet? How is it?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/smas ... n-ale.html

Have you searched for SMaSH yet?

I will give a less curmudgeonly response than my associate. Somebody must have been suckling a few IIPA’s last night. :cheers:

I am not a huge fan of single hopped beers, though they are hugely popular. If trying to ‘zero in’ on a hop profile, I would rather use something neutral like Magnum or Warrior at bittering in low quantities, then get remaining +/- 75% of my IBU’s from late hops of the ‘featured’ hop of choice. Has worked well for me with APA’s in the past.

Simple is almost always better though (dubbels are the exception). Sniff around the web some more on SMaSH and get brewing.

[quote=“Pietro”]I will give a less curmudgeonly response than my associate. Somebody must have been suckling a few IIPA’s last night.[/quote]Not at all, it was a simple question - there’s a lot of discussion on here about SMaSH that would be worth reviewing first to at least get the gist and then come back and ask for more info to fill in gaps.

Looks to me like he’s referring to the new SMASH kit, not just the concept of a SMaSH brew.

Haven’t tried it, so other than that I have nothing else to add. Except that I’m also interested in what people think about it.

I’m brewing one tonight based on the new kit except with local brew shop ingredients, and a different yeast since my local shop didn’t have the one that NB uses. Looks like it will be a quick brew. Running low on home brew so this will help keep the pipeline open.

Well, I got the SMaSH brewed… Also was the first time I got to use a wort chiller. Man, I don’t know how I put up with the ice bath method for that long.

The SMaSH recipe is a nice and easy one. I don’t think I’ll bother with secondary, I’ll just throw the hops in primary after week 1. I think it will come out fine.

[quote=“Fu Shen”]Looks to me like he’s referring to the new SMASH kit, not just the concept of a SMaSH brew.

Haven’t tried it, so other than that I have nothing else to add. Except that I’m also interested in what people think about it.[/quote]
I hear ya. My favorite smash is MO with Columbus hops. With that said I want to try the new hops with perhaps a new grain. Times are a changing.

Links to a specific kit or a recipe are helpful to avoid any confusion and allow the most thoughtful responses.