SMaSH Head Retention

Hi All,
I want to do a smash with Golden Promise. I haven’t really finalized my recipe but I was wondering that if I only use a base malt whether 2row, MO or GP in my case, will there be any head/foam retention or will it be totally without? My overall goal is a mild bitter. I realize that if any other malt is added the SMaSH part is gone but… Just wondering. Thoughts?

I have had no problems with a SMaSH beer holding head, but I keg, so it all gets pretty foamy. Unless absolutely tied to the SMaSH concept, you could toss in some CaraPils and be assured of a thick, rocky head. But, then again, a Mild is usually lightly carbonated with little if no head retention (the Brits favor a full pint to a big head in their session beers).

That’s a very good suggestion. And from what I’ve read, a bitter is relatively headless to ensure one’s money’s worth :slight_smile:

Yeast health and fermentation procedures play a major role in foam development and retention.

http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/ ... techniques

That was a very well organized and head swimming article :shock: Truthfully I’ve never had a batch sans foam/head in my +/- 20 batches to date. So from what I gather, if I keep my sanitation, boiling and fermentation procedures consistent, which I do and I make starters part of each session, which I don’t I might find adequate head/foam in my SMaSH and all beers. Thus far my brewing procedures follow KISS. FTR I’m going to do the upcoming SMaSH ‘as is’ and with no tasteless additions.
Thanks, Mike

[quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]That was a very well organized and head swimming article :shock: Truthfully I’ve never had a batch sans foam/head in my +/- 20 batches to date. So from what I gather, if I keep my sanitation, boiling and fermentation procedures consistent, which I do and I make starters part of each session, which I don’t I might find adequate head/foam in my SMaSH and all beers. Thus far my brewing procedures follow KISS. FTR I’m going to do the upcoming SMaSH ‘as is’ and with no tasteless additions.
Thanks, Mike[/quote]

One of the biggest points in that article is the example of Duvel. No carapils, no wheat or flaked grains, yet it has the type of foam homebrewers dream of. You don’t need that stuff for beer foam if you do everything else right.

I often dream of a day like this in everything I do. Man, it would be cool if it came to fruition more often.