Small keg for parties/lake?

The smallest keg I have found are 2.5 gallons. I have been looking for a 1 gallon keg to use at the lake or party, whatever. They have that little CO2 thing for easy transportation but I have not been able to find something small enough to really use it on.

Any ideas?

In the DIY forums people have re-purposed the commercial 5 liter mini kegs to accept a CO2 charger for serving.
You can also buy new 5 liter mini’s, but I believe all of these have an internal lining that wears out after 5-10 uses.

[quote=“dsidab81”]In the DIY forums people have re-purposed the commercial 5 liter mini kegs to accept a CO2 charger for serving.
You can also buy new 5 liter mini’s, but I believe all of these have an internal lining that wears out after 5-10 uses.[/quote]

As long as you’re careful with cleaning it can last longer. My brew buddy has at least a couple old Heineken 5L mini’s that have been around for years. But clean carefully, one scratch and it’s over!

I’ve found that filling 2 or 3 liter soda bottles from your 5 gallon keg is an excellent alternative to dealing with a bunch of gear.

How about a party pig?

Can’t say that I’ve ever came home from a party with beer in left in a 2.5gal keg. It is what I typically use with my portable setup and has worked out great time and time again.

There are a number of posts on the Ausie’s boards about converting garden sprayers for use as kegs.

Outside that, I would 2nd the use of 2 or 3 liter soda bottles for transport.

I recently “bottled” 2, 1 gallon wine jugs from the keg for transport. If you’re at the lake or a place not allowing glass containers, you could use apple juice or milk jugs. Also, if you use plastic, you could squeeze the container to minimize the headspace.

I personally would not advocate the use of milk jugs or any other “bottle” not meant to hold pressure for beer.

Wouldn’t a growler suit your needs well?

I transport in two growlers I purchased from your host. They work well, are easy to clean and they’re impressive in company :slight_smile:

this is the best deal that i have seen on 2.5 gallon kegs http://www.homebrewing.org/25-Gallon-Ba … _2823.html

Until the sale expires.

May not work for everyone, but I recently aquired some free 5gal pin locks and offered them in a 2 for 1 trade for 2.5gal or 3gal ball locks on CL and got several offers.

Our host also has new 1/2 gallon stainless steel growlers (pricey) but unique. I have (5) 3 gallon kegs and find them to be the perfect size to bring to a party.

So, do you bring the keg and the co2 cartridge then and just keep it on ice?

So, do you bring the keg and the co2 cartridge then and just keep it on ice?[/quote]

Yes. Many of use use a 9oz to 20oz paintball tank and standard regulator to dispense the beer. Better control than the mini CO2 chargers.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-adapter-co-2-go.html

So, do you bring the keg and the co2 cartridge then and just keep it on ice?[/quote]I have a small wheeled cooler with extending handle which holds two small kegs. Then I bungee my CO2 tank, regulator and serving lines to the extended handle. It makes a great self contained 6 gallon beer supply for a perfect night out.