4 lbs Vienna…
3 oz (Lemonhead) hops/Lemondrop…12.2
S-189 Saflager
Mash at 158*F
pH=5.7
Predict 1.047 SG
I’ve not used this yeast, so FG is TBD.
Sneezles61

Sneezles, it looks like a nice simple recipe much to my liking. Curious if you have any conversion issues with a 158F mash temp.

I ended up1.045… but the volume was 5.75… a wee bit more than I projected… I’d say it was a good brew day.
Sneezles61

2 Likes

And it bubbling away nicely… Soon it’ll be beer!
Sneezles61

1 Like

!.020… 60*F…
Day 2
Sneezles61

Amazing how quickly a happy healthy yeast population can ferment!

1 Like

A little attention… This is a part of the hobby…
Sneezles61

1 Like

OK, Temp at 61*F and 1.010 this AM… I unplugged the freez-mentor and open the lid… I’ll check it in a few days… Now whats next? Same recipe, add 2 lbs rye?
Sneezles61

Temp up to 65*F… 1.009…
Sneezles61

Impressive FG. I read a lot of varying opinions on mashing too high. Lately I have tried to shoot for nothing north of 152 and have had great results, recently anyway. Personally 158 scares me a bit but your FG certainly puts some of that fear to rest.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about temps until you get into the low 160*f… that when enzymes will “denature” (quit)…
I have for a long time did a half hour at 143 then ramp up to 158… Hoping to get the best of both worlds… But I can’t tell if it actually tastes different… My ferments seems to end lower for sure…
Now for Rye… I just read an article about using Rye in a small brew… X-beerment from 2018… The thought is, giving a small brew more mouthfeel… So I’ll give it a try…
4 lbs Pils
3lbs Vienna
2 rye…
Sneezles61

Rye is an interesting grain to use…I always have to convince myself that I actually like it…You’re somewhere north of 20 percent there, so you’ll get an idea of what it does…Kind of a slick, astringent, dry, ‘spicy’ vibe…but you’ve used it before I think…

I thought the same thing, but if he’s(@sneezles61) doing 30 minutes at 143* first then he’s going to get a very fermentable wort. 158* throughout would produce a dextrin rich sweet beer.

Yes, I used Rye before… had issues… I think its was with adding salts… Too much?..
I I will again, dabble me toe in the Rye…
The last brew, was one temp, not a stepped mash…
Now, I read that Rye should have a rest around 100*F… helps to prepare their really long sugar chain for Beta and Alpha amylase to break them down… How would I know if its a problem when using full volume BIABasket? I can not end up with a stuck sparge…
Sneezles61

I’ve not done a Beta glucan rest with rye…but they talk about it here Brewing With Rye | MoreBeer
and there is always our old friend rice hulls for grains like wheat and rye that can gelatinize.

1 Like

Voodoo, that’s an excellent point. Since I do strictly BIAB, I’ve avoided step mashing since I don’t want to risk scorching the grain (nor do I want to hold the bag off the bottom of the kettle!) I’m sure my efficiency suffers, but sometimes I cheat by adding a little DME if I’m not hitting my pre-boil gravity target.

Isn’t there a pie rack thing-y that’ll fit the bottom of yer kettle?
Sneezles61

Hey, tilt sez my gravity is down… 1.007… 67*F… I’ll need to wait a bit…
Sneezles61

I can’t recall if I’ve used S-189 lager yeast before…that’s pretty good attenuation(Saflager says attenuation averages about 82 percent) especially if you didn’t do a beta rest and simply struck at 166* or so and mashed at 158*.

Brew in a Basket… When my temp of the strike water (8 gallons) was at 158*F… I put the basket in, stir well, and every 15 minutes… Pump recirculating all through the mash… I watch the temp, element is at 18% power and I may have to adjust it a bit to maintain my desired mash temp… My system is so simple… but powerful…
I suspect the CO2 is gassing off and let the Tilt lay down a whisker bit more…
Oh how I hope this turns out like beer… :sunglasses:
Sneezles61