Smack pack issues

I have a smack pack of Wyeast 3787 Trappist HG that some how expanded in my fridge and don’t plan on brewing till this Saturday. (4 days total) so my questions are

1. How and why would this expand in my fridge?
  2. Is it going to be fine to use in 3 days?
  3. Should I keep it in the fridge, or take it out?

This is my first time using liquid yeast. So I could use all the knowledge I could get.

Thanks

[quote=“Robert13”]I have a smack pack of Wyeast 3787 Trappist HG that some how expanded in my fridge and don’t plan on brewing till this Saturday. (4 days total) so my questions are

1. How and why would this expand in my fridge?

Sometimes this happens, especially if exposed to heat (like in the summer) and some strains are more susceptible to this.

1. Is it going to be fine to use in 3 days?

Yes it will be fine. In fact this verifies that the yeast is healthy and active.

1. Should I keep it in the fridge, or take it out?
    You can leave it in there. Take it out Thurs or Fri and try to pop the activator pack.

This is my first time using liquid yeast. So I could use all the knowledge I could get.

Thanks[/quote]

[quote=“Loopie Beer”][quote=“Robert13”]I have a smack pack of Wyeast 3787 Trappist HG that some how expanded in my fridge and don’t plan on brewing till this Saturday. (4 days total) so my questions are
3. Should I keep it in the fridge, or take it out?
You can leave it in there. Take it out Thurs or Fri and try to pop the activator pack.
[/quote][/quote]

The pack is so swelled I dont see poping the pack inside. also would you recommend making a starter?, or should I just pour the yeast in and then acitivator pack as well?

What’s your target OG for your brew? I assume it’s pretty high (since you’re using a yeast called “High Gravity”). I would recommend a starter for anything over the 1.050 range. At 1.050, even if your viability was at 100% you’re still almost 50% below optimal pitching rate by just pitching the packet.

I ALWAYS make a starter even if it is just to “wake” the yeast up.

O.G: 1.047, Its just the yeast that was recommended for this PATERSBIER from northeren brewer.

If you have the time and means, make the starter. It’s only going to increase your chances of producing a better product.