Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Smack pack confusion

The Wyeast smack pack that came with my kit says on it to smack 3 hours before pitching and incubate at 70 to 80 degrees. The instructions that came with the kit say to smack a few days before brewing. what do I do? Do I follow package instructions or kit instructions?

I would take package instructions over kit instructions any day. Smacking it a few days before brew day won’t accomplish anything, save killing some yeast. If you have a few days, definitely make a starter though. Even smack packs have lower cell count than desired for all but the lowest gravity beers.

It is better to start the yeast a few days before brewing. This will give the starter plenty of time to finish and to decant the wort before pitching. Almost all fermentations with liquid yeasts will require a starter to prevent under pitching.

This is the starter/pitch rate calculator I like to use.

I am making a mead and plan to do so on Sunday. Not even sure how to make a starter for it. I have no must to use as a starter. I have 2 days to work with. I am making the must on Sunday morning and can pitch as late as 8:00 Sunday night.

You can get it started in a little apple juice. Sanitized jug, add some apple juice and yeast nutrient, and toss in your yeast. Cover with an airlock or some sanitized foil.

Is it fair to assume I need to use the natural apple juice without any preservative stuff in it?

Yes, sorbate will definitely harm the yeast.

OK, new direction for this. I am making the mead tomorrow. The active range for the yeast is 50 - 70. When I make beer I like to stay in the low side of the range. Is it the same with mead? What fermentation temp is suggested?

Which yeast is it?

Wyeast 4783

I haven’t used that specific one, but I do typically use wine yeast for mead. I try to ferment near the top of the yeast’s temperature range, since mead is a pretty hostile environment and I like to give it every chance it can to have a healthy fermentation. The few times I’ve kept the temperature down the fermentation has stalled. But I haven’t used that strain, so take this with an appropriately sized grain of salt!

OK, so maybe I will not temp control this. I will just put it tin the basement which is probably in the high 60’s right now and let it go. The info on the yeast says 75 is max.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com