Smack pack arrived inflated

I just got a big order in after the recent flat-rate shipping sale. Included was a pack of Wyeast 1056, that was fully inflated. I’ve had packs arrive fluffy before, and Wyeast mentions that packs can ‘partially’ inflate, and that 1056 is particularly prone to it, but this one is more inflated than most of of the packs usually are when I open them. There was a second pack of a Belgian style in the shipment that was flat as a pancake, so I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a shipping mishap.

If you shake it, you can hear the nutrient pack rattling around, from the sound it makes I’m pretty sure it was not ruptured. I’m not sure I could smack this one if I wanted to, and if I did I’m thinking the whole pack could pop if there was much more pressure.

It is dated from late August, and it may be late December before I brew with it. I am also not entirely sure yet what I’m going to make, but probably something in the range of 1.060-1.080.

So, should I look into returning it, or just wait, and give a little extra love to the starter?

Make a starter a week before you plan to brew a beer. When you cut to pouch open, if the nutrient pack is not ruptured, cut it open and pour into the starter.

The yeast is not “bad”.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Make a starter a week before you plan to brew a beer. When you cut to pouch open, if the nutrient pack is not ruptured, cut it open and pour into the starter.

The yeast is not “bad”.[/quote]
That’s pretty much what I thought, but wanted some reassurance.
Thanks as always…

Just in case anyone in the future searches this forum and finds this thread…

I made a starter Friday, cold-crashed it Saturday and brewed Sunday. Decanted the spent wort, and pitched the yeast at 63, and placed in a freezer set to 61.

Nice airlock activity Monday evening confirms: Yes, that yeast was still good.