Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Slight recipe mess up, suggestions?

Hey all,

I’m brewing a one gallon all grain IPA this weekend, and accidentally got too much carapils and crystal 60 (malts are already mixed so I’m stuck with it). Here’s what I have:

2 lbs 2 row
.5 lbs Vienna
4 oz Crystal 60 (wanted 2 oz)
4 oz CaraPils (wanted 2 oz)

So, what can I do so that this beer doesn’t come out too sweet? I’m thinking mash low (150 or so, I usually mash this recipe at 151), and maybe add some corn sugar to up the abv. I also have a huge amount of hops so I can up the IBUs to counter it, as well. Suggestions?

Thanks!

That’s 17% crystal malt, which is a lot flavor-wise IMHO. You could add sugar to reduce the FG, but that wouldn’t reduce the flavor impact of the crystal malts.

If it’s possible, I’d double up on the base malts and just make a 2 gal batch.

If you want to stick to a one-gallon batch, mash at 146-148F, add 4 oz sugar, and pitch US-05 and you’ll end up at 1.010-1.012. Boost the IBUs a little to balance the extra crystal sweetness and it’ll be a good IPA.

Thanks so much for the quick replies!

I am actually using S-05 for this recipe, and I’ll be sure to mash a little lower.

I really appreciate both responses!

OK, before I brew this IPA with the suggestions above, after doing a little more research I’ve found that my (messed up) grain bill resembles an Amber Ale. I’ve never brewed an Amber before. Would this be a better option in my case or just go with the IPA?

Thanks!

one last little bump

I don’t see any problem at all with that grainbill for an IPA. Mashing low won’t hurt, but I’ve done hoppy beers with at least that ratio of crystal and gotten excellent attenuation from US05. I would do it as is, give it a BU/GU ratio >1 with a lot of late hop additions and see how you like it.

What kind of efficiency do you expect? With the right hop schedule this could turn out like a so-called “imperial amber” like a Troeg’s Nugget Nectar, which is delicious!

Just my opinion :cheers:

With my usual efficiency, I’m expecting an OG of 1.071. Hopville says it’ll get down to around 1.016 for an abv of 7.3. I really appreciate everyone’s input with this - looks like I can go a couple of ways and still end up with an interesting beer!

If you wanted to stick with the original recipe just double up the 2 ingredients that were not doubled and either brew twice as much or mix the grains as well as possible and weigh out half for one batch and save the 2nd half for another batch.

That’s a great idea if one were really interested in making the recipe as written and can get the additional grains without a lot of trouble. You wouldn’t necessarily need to use that exact grainbill for your second batch either --add other specialty malts and/or change the yeast and you could make a good porter, brown ale, ESB, or Belgian.

Or, this would be a prime opportunity, with the micro-batches, to pair the same grainbill with different hops or yeast. Could learn a lot from side-by-side tasting of the two. It might be interesting to do FWH on one and not on the other, or do one as a hopburst and the other with a traditional hop schedule, keeping the IBUs about the same.

That’s what I was thinking. I have chinook, warrior, amarillo, ahtanum, palisade, and simcoe, so I could do something with chinook, ahtanum, and palisade and then another with the west coast style hops. I’m just a little worried about not mixing the grains well enough to even the batches. Anyone have success with this?

I’ve never actually done anything like this, but it seems to me that it shouldn’t be that difficult to get a pretty even mix. Maybe not perectly identical, but close enough that any differences in the final product would have to be pretty modest. I could be wrong, though…

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com