Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Skipping the Yeast Starter?

Ah! My buddy is coming over at 4 today to brew with me, and I realized the kit I want to brew reccommends using a yeast starter kit. I really want to brew this Black IPA, but don’t have enough time to rock the yeast starter.

What will the effects be if I just use a Wyeast smack pack? Will she still turn out?

Thanks for your help everyone!

An IPA is usually high gravity. I bet it would be a bad idea to use one smack pack without a starter.

Maybe make a 500ml-1L starter today with part of the kit and pitch the whole thing tomorrow morning?

Ever tried using more than one smack pack?

(I assume this is a horrible idea)

[quote=“Jonny”]Ever tried using more than one smack pack?

(I assume this is a horrible idea)[/quote]

Nothing horrible about that, in fact do it if you have another and can’t do a starter. What kit?

[quote=“sharksky”][quote=“Jonny”]Ever tried using more than one smack pack?

(I assume this is a horrible idea)[/quote]

Nothing horrible about that, in fact do it if you have another and can’t do a starter. What kit?[/quote]

Black IPA Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains. If using two is an option I may just do that. Think it will effect the taste at all?

Yes it will effect the taste , it will make the beer better. You probably still aren’t pitching quite the recommended yeast rate but you’ll be closer. 2 packs is approx. equal to a 1 liter starter with 1 pack. You don’t want to over pitch but you wouldn’t be doing that until you got up to like 4 packs.

Yes man you can use 2 packs. The whole point of a starter is high cell count plus some other stuff. Basically same thing as a smack pack.

Will I be running a higher risk of a blowout?

Ummm no. Dude, multiple packs is the same thing as a starter, just smaller volume while almost the same cell numbers. Do you expect blowout when you use a starter? If so, then it never hurts to have a blow off tube just in case it does happen.

Maybe, maybe not. If you have high gravity brew and a lot of yeast, then it will blow off for sure. Blow off happening is not a bad thing. Having no blow off can possibly be a bad thing. Shove tubing over the center tube of the 3 piece lock and into a bucket or use 1" tubing straight into a carboy if you can.

The only reason using two packs would be a horrible idea is because you would have to pay for them.

Yep, pitch two packs. If you are worried about blowoff then use a blowoff tube.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com