Sitting on a ton of mt hood

So I have a close to a lb of mt hood hops that I just have not used outside of denny’s rye ipa.

Really need to start using these hops. what are some good recipes/styles for this hop. i just really feel like I don’t know it very well, and need to use them.

The only way I am thinking is lager. But I really was looking more towards an ale. I am too selfish with my chest freezer. Only do a few lagers a year due to the fact that I can’t wait four weeks to brew another beer. blah blah blah

So basically, any good ale styles that I should be using mt hood in?

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]So I have a close to a lb of mt hood hops that I just have not used outside of denny’s rye ipa.

Really need to start using these hops. what are some good recipes/styles for this hop. i just really feel like I don’t know it very well, and need to use them.

The only way I am thinking is lager. But I really was looking more towards an ale. I am too selfish with my chest freezer. Only do a few lagers a year due to the fact that I can’t wait four weeks to brew another beer. blah blah blah

So basically, any good ale styles that I should be using mt hood in?[/quote]

You can just use a clean ale yeast in lager recipes.

They work great in both Belgian styles and altbier. Think of them as a sub for Hallertauer.

Thanks denny.

does an alt really need a lager like aging? Jamils book said it really needs a month of coos storage.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]Thanks denny.

does an alt really need a lager like aging? Jamils book said it really needs a month of coos storage.[/quote]

It makes a big difference. I like to ferment them no higher than 62, usually more like 55. Then a couple months as close to 35 as I can manage.

Can do. I will do one soon.

Can I single hop with it. Or better to bitter with magnum then late additions with mt hood?

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]Can I single hop with it. Or better to bitter with magnum then late additions with mt hood?[/quote]Never tried it for bittering, but Mt Hood has about the same cohumulone as Amarillo, which works for me as a bittering hop in the medium intensity range (where Magnum is low and Columbus is high) - depending on what you’re making you could either use it at 60 or at FWH and take a little of the edge off it.

Thanks. Will probably fwh with it. and bitter with magnum. then late addition again with the mt hood.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]Thanks. Will probably fwh with it. and bitter with magnum. then late addition again with the mt hood.[/quote]I was suggesting just using a FWH instead of the bittering so you can use more of the Mt Hood, but that way would work too.

Got idea. I could do something like keeler did with his reverse burster alt bier. and first wort hop the hell out of it.

I really like the complexity that noble-type hops bring when combined with “C” hops in late additions for hoppy, American-style ales. Try adding some as flameout and/or dry hops in something like an APA along with some Amarillo/Cascade/Centennial.

I use Mt. Hood alll the way through for my alt called Santa’s Helper. All Munich, all Mt. Hood.

I use Mt. Hood alll the way through for my alt called Santa’s Helper. All Munich, all Mt. Hood.[/quote]

Care to share your recipe? :smiley:

I use Mt. Hood alll the way through for my alt called Santa’s Helper. All Munich, all Mt. Hood.[/quote]

Care to share your recipe? :smiley: [/quote]

Note that the recipe here is for 8 gal.

viewtopic.php?t=37508

Thanks denny. Appreciate it.