Siphon

Just brewed and used the rack magic mini siphon… Wow that siphon definitely not magic… It would barley started a siphon for the one gallon kit and soon as it did start a siphon it immediately got clogged. Next BrewI think pouring thru a Muslin hop bag would be much better…

Usually tilt the container and I won’t plunge all the way down to the trub, rather follow it down, and just as I start to pull up trub, I will stop racking. I have used mine for… Many years… Sneezles61

1 Like

Hmm… haven’t used the mini one for one gallon batches, but I love my normal siphon. You are siphoning from a high surface to a low surface, right? Also, sneezles is right. Start right at the top of your beer and follow the level down.

1 Like

Yes I siphoned from a high surface to a low surface…Maybe I’ll try it with a smaller kettle or Brew a 5 …gallon kit next time…

If you’re going from kettle to fermenter there’s no reason to siphon anyway. Pour it! You’ll aerate your wort better that way.

1 Like

Just to throw this out there: I use the mini siphon a lot with my 1 gal batches. There is a clip you can buy that clips the siphon to the side of a carboy or bucket and allows you to adjust how deep into the liquid your siphon sits. I set mine up so that the bottom of the siphon is just above the trub and don’t have any problems.

1 Like

Can u adjust the tip of the siphons end to adjust the flow… It seemed like mine was siphoning too much/fast causing a whirl so I pushed it further in the wort to keep it siphoning but it eventually clogged up…

The simplest way to reduce the flow through a siphon is to reduce the vertical distance between the two containers. If your carboy is on the floor, maybe just place it on a chair so it isn’t so low. That should slow things down considerably.

1 Like

Yes I forget its a one gallon batch so I would do as Dannyboy sez, and just pour it and you will git some trub, but if yer careful you can keep it at a minimum… Maybe step up to 5 gallon batch, split yer grain bill in half, and yeast and hops and do a 2.5 gallon batch, then you still another one just sitting there waiting! Sneezles61