Single hop brews

I’ve been enjoying a popular brew lately and enjoy the single hop goodness of Cascade. There’s something inherently appealing to me about isolating that very particular hop flavor. I’ve also been enjoying a single hop Citra brew as well. (I do the same thing with single origin coffee beans.)

Just wondering if there are other fans of this style out there. I’d be interested to learn a bit.

1 Like

I have three favorite single hop brews. An American amber ale with Cascade. An IPA with Chinook and another IPA with Centennial.

1 Like

I’m definitely a big fan of the “Keep It Simple, Stupid” principle. When I see a grab bag of 3 different hop varieties spread over multiple additions, I know my palette won’t be able to pick out anything. It’s just gonna be hops stew.

That being said, a nice (cheap) bittering hop at the beginning, followed by a different flavor/aroma hop, or 2 doesn’t hurt my head too much.

1 Like

I really enjoy cascades… Centennial is very good too… But, you can accentuate them with understanding a little bit of your water and how to manipulate it… Sneezles61

1 Like

I also like Cascades but the low Alpha means you really need to use a lot to get enough bitterness for an IPA. There are some choices for more high power bittering that work well with Cascade. Magnum works for me.

That said an all Centennial IPA is great.

1 Like

I generally also use higher alpha hops for bittering and alot of single hops for flavor and aroma. It will generate alot less hop materials to deal with not to mention the expense. I like nugget or Magnum for bittering buy them in bulk. Nugget for ales Magnum for lagers

1 Like

I did a series of single hop beers/IPAs a couple of years ago. My favorites were cascades an centennial. The centennial IPA stays in my rotation but I use higher AA hops for bittering. Mostly Magnum, sometimes cluster.

1 Like

Been meaning to get some cluster but it doesn’t seem to show up that often

Thanks everyone. I’ve learned I need to educate myself a bit more on the bittering side. Super anxious to try the Dead Ringer brew New year’s Day. Hope it compares well to its cousin in Michigan.

1 Like

Dead ringer is a solid recipe. You won’t be disappointed.

I’ll do as was said before… I don’t think its a parallel to 2 hearted… more of a dead guy ale style… West coast style… Sneezles61

I have to disagree @sneezles61. I think it’s pretty spot on 2 hearted. My go to centennial IPA branched off from that dead ringer recipe. I fee like dead guy is a much more robust ale…they claim it’s a maibock…

1 Like

Me like cetennial as a single hops.

I just got a pound of Idaho 7 and really like this hop in the beers I’ve tried it in. Going to do a single hop pale ale with it in a few weeks.

Can you describe it? Perhaps, what is brewed with it? Sneezles61

1 Like

I did a single hop wheat with idaho7 that wasnt too bad…all other times ive used it in a mix…i do like it.

I believe it’s fairly new. It’s also known as 007 the golden hop. If you do a quick search

I’ve had in a pale ale and a local microbrewery made an experimental batch that I am trying to clone. Best pale ale I have ever tasted by far.

1 Like

A lot of tropical fruit from it.

1 Like

When you say tropical fruit… any thing like Mosaic? Not much of a hop I enjoy… Sneezles61