Simple sparge

I read a piece on BIAB and it was talking about using Whirlfloc as an alternative to sparging.
Using all the water at once and dipping the bag in. But rather than do it that way ,could you use all but
one half gallon and then just dump that heated over the bag to get a rinse without the Whirlfloc stuff…??
I mean the point is to get a rinse ,no??? however you can??in whatever way you can…

Where did you read this? I just don’t see the connection between Whirlfloc and sparging in the first place.

But then the question seems to be, can I do a tiny bit of sparge as an alternate to some no sparge method. So I’ll say you can try it. My gut says you won’t get much sugar off the grain with a half gallon though.

My BIAB process is more of a traditional brew where the bag simply replaces the false bottom or braid in a cooler. I batch sparge for about equal runnings.

JMcK, I agree not sure where the connection is with sparging and whirlfloc.

When I do my 2.05gal test batches I use BIAB method. I reserve 1gal of water and sparge with it.

[quote=“JMcK”]Where did you read this? I just don’t see the connection between Whirlfloc and sparging in the first place.

But then the question seems to be, can I do a tiny bit of sparge as an alternate to some no sparge method. So I’ll say you can try it. My gut says you won’t get much sugar off the grain with a half gallon though.

My BIAB process is more of a traditional brew where the bag simply replaces the false bottom or braid in a cooler. I batch sparge for about equal runnings.[/quote]
+1 This.

Last winter I tried a few different ways to sparge it doesn’t matter except you need to use a tad more grain to get your BG the less sparge water you use. The key is to calculate you’r efficiency and decide which you like and then do it the same way consistently.

[quote=“38812”]I read a piece on BIAB and it was talking about using Whirlfloc as an alternative to sparging.
Using all the water at once and dipping the bag in. But rather than do it that way ,could you use all but
one half gallon and then just dump that heated over the bag to get a rinse without the Whirlfloc stuff…??
I mean the point is to get a rinse ,no??? however you can??in whatever way you can…[/quote]

Please post a link to that article.
Dan

http://www.bagbrewer.com/brewing-in-a-bag.html

I thought it was in regards to the lack of sparging but maybe not…its used to settle out proteins…

The whirlfloc is added late in the boil. The article is a little confusing because it doesn’t actually mention taking the bag out. Interesting about the mash out step I’ve never done it that way for biab.

I went through my sparging experiments more than 5 years ago, and came to the same conclusion. For homebrewing any method of sparging will work equally well and produce equally good beer - if you have the correct equipment for the method. In my mind, you should pick whatever method is easiest for you to handle and will thus give you the most repeatable results.