Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Simple Dry Hopping Question

Novice brewer here, with just 2 extract batches under my belt.

I have a batch of NBs Dead Ringer in secondary right now and added the 1 oz of hop pellets direct to the secondary last wednesday night, per the “by the book” procedure.

A few hours later they had all dispersed into a uniform layer on top of the beer. Since then they have begun to settle, but there is still a fair amount of plant matter floating around near the surface. If I give the carboy a gentle shake I can some particles that begin to settle through the beer down toward the bottom, but there seems to be a persistent presence of hope remnants near the top. It’s sitting at about 68F.

Here’s the question: Is this normal? Will moving it to a colder spot help these things settle? Should I just ignore it and be careful when I siphon to the bottling bucket in a week or so? No big deal?

Any perspectives appreciated. Thanks All.

-Bob

Very normal. If they fall to the bottom too soon, they will get covered with other material and not offer much to the beer. Just let it go a week or so, swirl every so often and then cold crash for several days to make things settle before you bottle or keg

Terrific! Thanks for the reassurance…much appreciated.

-Bob

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com