Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Similar beers to Surly Bitter?

I’m thinking of brewing up the partial mash version next but I’ve never had the original. Can someone name any beers somewhat close I can try? I’m in Metro Detroit and have access to several very good beer stores but Surly doesn’t distribute here.

Thanks!

The thing about Surly…is that they make unique beers…there’s not much out there that’s “like Surly.”

They just have a unique approach to everything.

Try a few varieties of the English Bitter style and you’ll get a feel for it though.

Not sure you get it in MI but 21st Amendment’s Bitter American is in the same ball park as Bitter Brewer. The description NB has of Bitter Brewer is quite accurate in my opinion so if it sounds good to you it is worth doing. I’m pretty sure that recipe is the one I’ve brewed the most times since I love it (both the Surly version and mine). I’ve also used the recipe as a base to play around with different hops.

I know I’m in a very small minority and while I like nearly all of Surly’s beers I think Bitter Brewer their best.

[quote=“stompwampa”]The thing about Surly…is that they make unique beers…there’s not much out there that’s “like Surly.”

They just have a unique approach to everything.

Try a few varieties of the English Bitter style and you’ll get a feel for it though.[/quote]

Bitter brewer is not even close to an English bitter.
I do not see any uniqueness to Surly, no more so than any other brewery making something similar.

Your almost in Pale ale territory, just some UK malts and an english yeast, then american hops

[quote=“grainbelt”]

Your almost in Pale ale territory, just some UK malts and an english yeast, then american hops[/quote]

I believe glacier would be a good finishing hop here.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com