<sigh>...I wish I was kidding

Does anyone know approximate pitch rate for Roseleare/WY3763? I have called all 3 homebrew shops in my hometown and…I am not kidding, each place has one packet, and they are at 3 different ends of town.

We are going to try to brew a 14-20 gallon batch of this, just so we can bottle some and age it.

Is 3 packs enough if we are using it as the primary yeast strain, or will it need some extra ‘oomph’ of an S-05 packet or something? Aaaargh. I’m already annoyed I have to drive all over hells half acre to find this noise. Beer will be around 1.065.

Why not get one and make a starter?

apparently when you do that, the sacc yeast overtakes the pedio/lacto/brett and you get even less sourness because the acetobacter can’t develop. Roseleare is a blend, so my understanding is that when pitched directly, the chico/WY1056 is what takes the beer to a suitable gravity, then the bugs start working.

So theoretically, to make a proper starter with a bug blend, you need months. Someone on here just suggested that I buy a few packs.

[quote=“Pietro”]apparently when you do that, the sacc yeast overtakes the pedio/lacto/brett and you get even less sourness because the acetobacter can’t develop. Roseleare is a blend, so my understanding is that when pitched directly, the chico/WY1056 is what takes the beer to a suitable gravity, then the bugs start working.

So theoretically, to make a proper starter with a bug blend, you need months. Someone on here just suggested that I buy a few packs.[/quote]
I agree. Best to add enough packs to avoid a starter in this case. Wyeast says [quote]Aging up to 18 months is required for a full flavor profile and acidity to develop.[/quote] So building it up would be a problem. Sorry, get traveling :frowning:

One pack per fermenter should be fine - it’s going to have a long time to finish out fermentation.