Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extract Clone

Could anyone give me an experienced opinion on this Extract Clone recipe that I found online for an SN Torpedo?

Style: American IPA
Batch: 5.00 galExtract

Characteristics

Recipe Gravity: 1.074 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 74 IBU
Recipe Color: 12° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.019
Alcohol by Volume: 7.2%
Alcohol by Weight: 5.6%

Ingredients

CaraPils 1.00 lb, Grain, Steeped
Crystal 40L 1.00 lb, Grain, Steeped
Light DME 7.50 lb, Extract, Extract

Crystal 0.33 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Crystal 0.33 oz, Pellet, 45 minutes
Crystal 0.33 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes
Generic Hops 0.75 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Magnum 0.33 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Magnum 0.33 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes
Magnum 0.33 oz, Pellet, 45 minutes
Magnum 1.00 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes

American Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast,

A little higher OG and IBUs than the original, but if you replace that “generic” hop with a couple oz of Citra and move the two 45-min additions to 20-min, it might be close.

I was assuming the generic was the Citra as well. I’ve seen plenty of recipes out there but it’s hard to find one that’s not all grain. Thanks for the input!

A quick question, how much water should I boil this in? I have a 4 gallon and 5 gallon pot currently.

[quote=“SlickRick”]Could anyone give me an experienced opinion on this Extract Clone recipe that I found online for an SN Torpedo?
Style: American IPA
Batch: 5.00 galExtract
Ingredients
CaraPils 1.00 lb, Grain, Steeped
Crystal 40L 1.00 lb, Grain, Steeped
Light DME 7.50 lb, Extract, Extract
Crystal 0.33 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Crystal 0.33 oz, Pellet, 45 minutes
Crystal 0.33 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes
Generic Hops 0.75 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Magnum 0.33 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Magnum 0.33 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes
Magnum 0.33 oz, Pellet, 45 minutes
Magnum 1.00 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes

American Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast,[/quote]

I’ve never had the Torpedo, but with the base being extract that looks like a lot of crystal for an IPA.

Anyone care to help me on the boil amount? Also, what about the above comment on the Crystal? Thanks in advance!

You’ll get better hop utilization out of a larger boil, so I’d go with the 5 gallon pot, and use 3.5 gallons of water. I’d also add 1/2 of your DME for the full boil, and add the last half with 15 minutes left to keep the color down a little bit. Doesn’t look like a problem to me at all using those amounts of Crystal. Looks like a fine IPA you’ve got dialed up there.

:cheers:

Thanks once again to everyone for all of their input. I’m pretty dialed in on this recipe at this point and will be preparing to make this very soon. I do have one last question that probably isn’t a major concern but how long should I steep those grains? It’s probably the one piece of info that I really don’t have at this point. 10 or 20 min.?

I would seriously wonder about the aroma in this beer, as the “torpedos” that SN uses for this beer offer high utilization/extract rates on the whole leaf hops they use during the dry hopping process. I would expect to see 1oz Citra, two 3 day additions to get the aroma where SN Torpedo is. Maybe .67oz, but I would definitely try two Citra dry hop additions.

Cheers.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the American Ale Yeast? Would 1 packet of dry US-05 do the trick and finish properly with this recipe?

I have made a similar one( to their regular IPA ) with US-05, turned out pretty good . I would make a 2 litre starter for a brew of this gravity

I have made a similar one( to their regular IPA ) with US-05, turned out pretty good . I would make a 2 litre starter for a brew of this gravity[/quote]

With S-05 you’d be better off using two packs.

If I use 2 packs of US-05, does anyone have recommendations on creating a starter with 2 packs?

[quote=“SlickRick”]If I use 2 packs of US-05, does anyone have recommendations on creating a starter with 2 packs?[/quote]You shouldn’t make a starter with dry yeast, just pitch out of the packet. For this beer, two packets is plenty.

+1
No need for a starter if you’re pitching two packs of Safale 05… It’s a great yeast and will have no problems tackling this beer. Two packs will do 8% ABV beers all day long with no worries. Just get that blow off tube ready sir, she’s going to be a lively one!

fermentis.com recommends re-hydrating their dry yeast in 10 times the yeast weight in sterile (boiled) water at 80 degrees farenheit for 15-30 minutes before pitching. Make sure the water is cooled to 80 BEFORE adding the dry yeast, or it will kill the yeast. So, 110ml of water (about 4 oz) for an 11 gram yeast pack.

Jamil Zainasheff (co-author of YEAST with Chris White, of White Labs) says if you pitch dry yeast directly into your wort, you will lose around half of your viable yeast cells.

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/upl ... A_US05.pdf

Northern Brewer Recipe sheets say to pitch dry yeast right into your wort. Shame.