Shipping Comparisons

[quote=“ibeentired”]Hmmmm
I have a $25 credit with Midwest. SOunds like I should order now if I want it in the nearish future.[/quote]

Yeah, so do I… after my credit card was compromised earlier this year! Sounds like you’re in the same boat. I had another bad experience with them this spring too. A real bummer to see the company decline, after a long time of giving them my business.

Out of the blue I get a Midwest catalog. I notice the majority of items have the exact photo and verbiage as does NB. The recipes are different though.

Something is not sitting right with me.

Forgot which thread it is in but NB now owns Midwest, both of which are owned by a venture capital company. Doesn’t seem like they made a big deal of it so it is hard to tell other than their product lines are now converging.

…ever consider that maybe they’re just wasted off their asses all day? That would explain it. And it is a beer supply company after all.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“Silentknyght”]
I ordered on Monday morning. Shipping said “one day”, and that was my only option. I got a shipping notification on Thursday, stating the package would arrive the following Monday. So much for one-day shipping. Am I spoiled by the likes of Newegg & Amazon?

[quote]

On wednesday I ordered a bunch of stuff from William’s brewing and something from Amazon. The order from William’s was sitting on the front porch at 10 this morning. I hope the Amazon order, which was Prime, will be there sometime this evening. I am concerned as I think the order will be delivered by ontrac; the only other time ontrack was used by Amazon to deliver a package to me they mucked it up big time. My wife was online tracking the package when it said the package was delivered at 5:05 pm. It wasn’t: I was looking out the window trying to spot the delivery when it was “delivered”. It showed up the next day. We asked Amazon not to ship us anything via ontrac again and they hadn’t until now.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

William’s is always very good about getting stuff out quickly. They are only 20 miles from me, so as long as I order before 4 pm I get it the next day. Wish I could go to the store and pick stuff up though, save myself shipping costs. Morebeer recently has been really good getting stuff out the door. In the past if I used their Free Shipping, it would be at least a week before they shipped. My last 3 orders have gone out within two days and I get it the day after it ships. 3-day turn around with free shipping works for me!

Wow, this column is on fire. I guess I’ll know where to post questions about other suppliers in the future. But since NB ran that “buy a $125 gift card and get a $25 gift card free” special a week and a half ago and I fell for it hook, line, and sinker, I’ll be using this supplier for at least the next 4 batches or so. Come to think of it, though, I ordered that a good 9 or 10 days ago, and I still haven’t received it :roll: You wouldn’t think it would be so hard for them to slip a little card into an envelope and get it off in the mail, would you? I’m about to call them about it if I don’t see it today.

Kind of interesting to read this. My items from NB almost always ship either the day I placed the order or the following day. They usually make it to my house within 3 business days. I bought supplies for my brew this weekend, I ordered them on Friday evening last week and they were waiting on my doorstep when I got home yesterday (Tuesday). This has been the norm every time I’ve ordered from them.

The only thing that took a little longer was my Blichmann kettle and burner but those ship directly from Blichmann so NB has no control over that.

I’m actually reading the forum as I am on hold waiting for a customer rep to ask why I haven’t gotten my cards from this same offer yet.

[quote=“Cheshire_Cat”]
William’s is always very good about getting stuff out quickly. They are only 20 miles from me, so as long as I order before 4 pm I get it the next day. Wish I could go to the store and pick stuff up though, save myself shipping costs. Morebeer recently has been really good getting stuff out the door. In the past if I used their Free Shipping, it would be at least a week before they shipped. My last 3 orders have gone out within two days and I get it the day after it ships. 3-day turn around with free shipping works for me![/quote]
Since Morebeer has opened their PA warehouse, I think everyone across the country has been experiencing fast cycle-time on their orders. A few months ago I was shocked and thrilled when my [free shipping] order showed up in two days.

This reminds me that I haven’t ordered anything from anyone in a while (except for my annual hop hording in Oct/Nov). Probably time to restock some specialty grains.

If you order from NB, remember that they give a 5% discount online for AHA members.

I’m actually reading the forum as I am on hold waiting for a customer rep to ask why I haven’t gotten my cards from this same offer yet.[/quote]

Hmm. That’s not good. I can’t understand what the holdup could possibly be. We’re talking about something that doesn’t even need to be shipped. It’s just a card that can be put in a plain old envelope and dropped in a mailbox. I hope you got somewhere with NB, and that I don’t have to call them, too.

God am I glad I live in MPLS where I can just drive and pick up my stuff…

What’s the temp up there today?.. :wink:

What’s the temp up there today?.. :wink: [/quote]

It’s a balmy 16…

I’m actually reading the forum as I am on hold waiting for a customer rep to ask why I haven’t gotten my cards from this same offer yet.[/quote]

Hmm. That’s not good. I can’t understand what the holdup could possibly be. We’re talking about something that doesn’t even need to be shipped. It’s just a card that can be put in a plain old envelope and dropped in a mailbox. I hope you got somewhere with NB, and that I don’t have to call them, too.[/quote]
Paraphrasing the CSR, they were ordered on the second, and it looks like to order was ready on the 4th, but depending on the post office it might not have been picked up until the 5th. You should have it by the weekend… but we wouldn’t start worrying unless it’s been 7-10 business days.

Does that give you any more confidence than it gave me?

I’ve had a few of my recent orders ship not just the day after I expected, but a couple days after I expected. I had a bit of a tiff over email about the “guaranteed same day shipping if received by noon Central Time” (Apparently it doesn’t apply if they’re really behind because we got a larger than expected response to a promotion, which was unrelated to my order) It’s a real shame, because I like the way their kits are put together, but I’m in PA and now so is MoreBeer, so…

What’s the temp up there today?.. :wink: [/quote]

It’s a balmy 16…[/quote]

We are bracing for an arctic like, ( to us!) 27 tonight!

I’m going to be giving MoreBeer a try also. I’m sick and tired of NB and Midwest.

I finally just got my gift cards in the mail today, after waiting 10 days :x .I was going to call them tomorrow if I didn’t. I can understand that length of time for a heavy package, I guess, but an envelope that could have been just dropped in a mailbox? Not so much. I’m not terribly pleased with them right now, but since I just bought $150 in credit from them, I guess I’m stuck with them for a while. If I experience this same kind of delay the next time I put in an order with them, I’m not going to be quite so quiet about it.

NB is definitely better at shipping. Austin has free shipping but their prices are a lot higher. Midwest seems to be slow at shipping but their customer service is fantastic. My son bought me a deluxe home brew kit for Christmas in 2012. I finally got around to brewing my first batch in September and discovered the siphon was cracked. I called them and they replaced it cheerfully on the spot no hassles. They are also very knowledgeable and helpful when you call in. That said I’m going to give a local place a try today…anyone in the Atlanta area use Brewmasters Warehouse off Roswell in Marietta?

My last few orders have been from more beer. Free shipping over $50.00. And with shipping centers on each coast they have been to my door super fast.

I am done with NB.

MoreBeer for me as well. Prices are basically the same between NB and MoreBeer but orders ship a lot faster with MoreBeer.