Shipping beer

So I need to ship my beer for a homebrew comp coming up. I took the beer to the UPS store to have it packaged and shipped. They refused to ship the beer. They said nobody would do it. Has anyone had any issues with this? I’m tempted to just package it myself and not tell them its beer. Of course its getting shipped to a brewery so they may ask if its beer I’m shipping. I feel bad lying but I already paid for my entries and I don’t feel like just losing my entry fee.

What does everyone else do when shipping beer for a comp or otherwise?

Pack it yourself. Tell 'em it is something else. They’ll never know unless they open it.

I personally never use UPS or USPS. FedEx is the way to go when shipping beer. Alcohol cannot be legally shipped unless it’s from a licensed retailer but shipping “Yeast samples” or “infused vinegar” is completely ok. I would recommend packing it yourself and just dropping it off at a shipping center. I’ve done this multiple times with no issues. I’ve never been asked what’s in the box either. Be sure to tape some fragile signs on the box or just wright it on the box with a marker. Also if your concerned with the sound of liquid coming from the box just throw in a box of macaroni Cheers !

Definitely don’t use the US Postal Service. It is a crime.

Here’s a good article I found:

http://barleypopmaker.info/2010/01/18/shipping-beer-for-competition/

[quote=“mattnaik”]So I need to ship my beer for a homebrew comp coming up. I took the beer to the UPS store to have it packaged and shipped. They refused to ship the beer. They said nobody would do it. Has anyone had any issues with this? I’m tempted to just package it myself and not tell them its beer. Of course its getting shipped to a brewery so they may ask if its beer I’m shipping. I feel bad lying but I already paid for my entries and I don’t feel like just losing my entry fee.

What does everyone else do when shipping beer for a comp or otherwise?[/quote]

DON’T use Postal Service…Use fedex or some one else but not the post office, pack it up before you get there. People and companies ship alcohol all the time…
You do not have to tell them what is in the package…make sure you pack well

I have shipped beer to my brother across the country multiple times without a hitch using FedEx. You just have to package it up before taking it to the FedEx facility (I have always shipped out of a FedEx/Kinkos). When you take it in just give them the shipping address & tell them to throw a few “fragile” stickers on the box. All good.