Shining Star Pale Ale

I have a shining star in primary and the intructions do not mention a secondary fermentation process. Can I still put it into a carboy for clearing purpoes?

Bulk aging in a second vessel is always a brewers choice. There is no right or wrong answer. Only your answer.

The same amount of solid will precipitate out in 1 vessel for 4 weeks. Or 1 vessel in 2 weeks and a second vessel for 2 weeks.

I brewed this a few weeks back and I have to say, I’m a little discouraged. It seems to have such a hollow taste to it. Before I bottled, I took a sample and could really taste the hops. After a week being bottled, I tried one and the hops have defiantly subsided, which was expected. As for the overall flavor, it’s very week and I did 4 gallon wort. It was just very bland and watery. Not sure what I did wrong.

Any ideas?

[quote=“Matt_GA”]I brewed this a few weeks back and I have to say, I’m a little discouraged. It seems to have such a hollow taste to it. Before I bottled, I took a sample and could really taste the hops. After a week being bottled, I tried one and the hops have defiantly subsided, which was expected. As for the overall flavor, it’s very week and I did 4 gallon wort. It was just very bland and watery. Not sure what I did wrong.

Any ideas?[/quote]

I don’t know anything about these kits, but…I am assuming it was an extract kit? In a lot of cases this is one of the drawbacks of extract. You get a much more rich profile with all-grain in almost all styles.

Yea, it’s basically 6lb of a specific LME, and some steeping grains. What do you think the work around is, in lieu of of all-grain? More LME, more steeping grains, all of the above?

Doubt the extact would get you too much more flavor. The main problem I see with more steeping grains, is that they would always be specialty malts - and could be over done.

I think a proper malt backbone has to come from the base malts. Maybe try going partial mash if AG is not an option. But as many have pointed out, AG can be much more simple than you would think.

I have had decent extract beers (though I have never brewed a decent one myself). But in every case, I could always tell they were extract beers.