Shank questions

I just finished building a keezer.
The front of the collar where the taps will go is three inches think. What length shank do you recommend?
Also, when it comes to shanks I am confused about shanks with nipples and without. How does a beer line attach to a shank without a nipple?
I have not purchased any keg equipment yet, that’s why I am asking these questions.
Also, what diameter is recommended for shanks? 3/16 or 1/4? Is that just determined by the hose inside diameter?

If someone knows a website where I can purchase two shanks with taps that will fit my collar that would be great?

Thanks for any help that is given, im ready to start ordering equipment.

You’ll need a shank long enough to go through the wood and to attach the faucet as well as the nut for the liquid line. I would recommend 5" shank.
You are correct that each shank needs a nipple. Some are sold as a welded one piece unit. I would suggest at the end of the liquid line that you use a 1/4" swivel nut. This will allow you to switch from homebrew (both ball and pin lock kegs) and commercial kegs.

The 3/16 or 1/4 shank does refer to the hole. I would go with 3/16.

You can find these at a number of stores like our host’s store.

Thanks for the response.

I will go with 3/16. So you recommend a 5" Shank. The kit I want to order comes with 2 4-5/8" shanks. I think the threaded section is 4-5/8, and the over all length is slightly over 5 inches. Do you think that will work?

That should work.

[quote=“tiltrotor22”]I just finished building a keezer.
The front of the collar where the taps will go is three inches think. What length shank do you recommend?
Also, when it comes to shanks I am confused about shanks with nipples and without. How does a beer line attach to a shank without a nipple?
I have not purchased any keg equipment yet, that’s why I am asking these questions.
Also, what diameter is recommended for shanks? 3/16 or 1/4? Is that just determined by the hose inside diameter?

If someone knows a website where I can purchase two shanks with taps that will fit my collar that would be great?

Thanks for any help that is given, im ready to start ordering equipment.[/quote]

I’ve found keg connection.com to be a great source for kegging components. Great prices and excellent customer service. I’ve always had a good experience buying from NB too but their prices are a bit higher.