Shakey's Pizza Parlor, once on tap?

A question for the older beer experts…years ago (more than I want to admit to, but over 30), Shakey’s Pizza Parlors had a dark beer on tap that I and many friends ordered by the pitcher. Does anyone remember what beer or style it was? I might like to try making a clone just for kicks.

Thanks!

I don’t, but I remember having a Shakey’s around here…the good ole days. It’s an Old Chicago now. There used to be a pin ball machine in there and if you hit the button, some cool cat would say, “Stay cool, Daddio.” Pretty funny…I think I might’ve been about 9 or 10 when we had one around. 20 years ago…

Don’t know for sure, but in Kansas at about that time there were Shakey’s and the only common dark was Olympia. Don’t remember whether that was in Shakey’s however.

I don’t think there’s any reason to think that Shakey’s had a consistent beer selection throughout their locations.

When I was in college in Iowa for a few years, I’d often get dragged into a Shakey’s or Pizza Hut and was surprised that almost without exception, they all had dark beer on draft, and I happily partook.

It was usually a dark lager supplied by Pabst, Miller, and especially Schlitz as I recall. This was circa 1970-72.
The beer (such as it was) was actually usually much better than what either place was passing off as pizza in those days. :mrgreen:

I particularly remember that both the Pabst Dark and the Schlitz Dark were actually not too bad.
I spoke to a Pabst brewmaster at the Newark plant when I returned to NJ in '74, and he confirmed that their dark beer was not just caramel colored (suggesting that the Miller Dark was likely made that way) ; rather, he stated that at Pabst they actually used roasted malts to achieve the color and a slightly richer flavor.

There was a pizza place in Ames, IA where I went to college that would serve Miller bock, complete with the story about it coming from when they cleaned the bottom of the tanks.

Back when I was in college in the mid 1980s, one of the bars in Butte, Montana had Rainier Dark on tap. 75 cents a glass. It sure was good.

LOL. I’ve heard that SO many times too over the years!
Less frequently so these days, but some people actually still believe that’s what Bock Beer is.

I remember Ames, IA quite well.
I spent a week there one night.
:shock:

p.s. Denny, I still can’t help but wonder if we ever drank beer in the same place at the same time all those years ago…

[quote=“The Professor”]I remember Ames, IA quite well.

p.s. Denny, I still can’t help but wonder if we ever drank beer in the same place at the same time all those years ago…[/quote]

Ya know, I kinda hope we did…it would be SO cool! But I don’t know how we’d ever know.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“The Professor”]I remember Ames, IA quite well.

p.s. Denny, I still can’t help but wonder if we ever drank beer in the same place at the same time all those years ago…[/quote]

Ya know, I kinda hope we did…it would be SO cool! But I don’t know how we’d ever know.[/quote]

I was the one with the shoulder length hair and the beard.
LOL.

Michelob Dark was pretty common back in the day. Weinhards Dark also.

[quote=“The Professor”]I was the one with the shoulder length hair and the beard.
LOL.
:shock: [/quote]

That would be like I was looking in a mirror!

I was still using Brylcreme when Shakeys was first around. I think todays frozen pizza is better than Shakeys. Only thing to wash it down with was Coors.

I remember about 30 years ago my dad would get a dark colored beer when we ate at Pizza Hut. I believe it was Blatz if I recall correctly.

Mr. Octabird
American Made!