Serving Pressure vs Overcarbonation

I have been reading around the forum and havn’t seen an answer to this. If I keep my serving pressure at a constant 10psi, will my beer continue to carbonate?

It will until the co2 dissolved in the liquid matches the pressure on it.

Take a look at this chart.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I think the answer to that is slightly, but not enough to worry about. As I recall the PVT relationship is something like P1V1/T1 must equal P2V2/T2. With pressure constant, but beer volume changing due to beer loss and temperature changing because that’s what keezers/kegerators do, I think the volume of gas absorbed must change too. But, like i said, it is probably minimal.

You guys that paid attention in physics, please speak up.

cheers

Eventually the carbonation level will reach equilibrium with the beer’s ability to absorb CO2 at whatever temperature the beer is. You can use a table like this http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php to balance your system pressure based on the beer temperature and desired level of carbonation. For many systems, somwhere around 10-12 PSI is a good starting point. My system is typically at 38-39 F, and works well for most beers at 12 PSI, and I keep higher-carbonation beers (e.g., Hefeweizen, Tripel) at 20 PSI. YMMV.

What length serving lines do you use for the hefes?

What length serving lines do you use for the hefes?[/quote]

I clean my lines regularly and I haven’t changed them for awhile but, if my recollection is right, the line I use for Hefes and Tripel is about 12’ long. That will vary a little from system to system depending on temperature and the height differential between the keg and the tap. I keep that longer line coiled in a spiral inside of a plastic coffee container that sits on top of the keg in my fridge. It was a bear to get it purged when I first set it up, but has worked fine since then. The first pour of each use is always a little foamy, but it settles down pretty quickly after that.

What length serving lines do you use for the hefes?[/quote]

I clean my lines regularly and I haven’t changed them for awhile but, if my recollection is right, the line I use for Hefes and Tripel is about 12’ long. That will vary a little from system to system depending on temperature and the height differential between the keg and the tap. I keep that longer line coiled in a spiral inside of a plastic coffee container that sits on top of the keg in my fridge. It was a bear to get it purged when I first set it up, but has worked fine since then. The first pour of each use is always a little foamy, but it settles down pretty quickly after that.[/quote]
Yeah, I’ve noticed the foamy first pour on my 10’ lines too.