Seriously? Sam Adams founder has secret to not getting drunk

Seriously?

A teaspoon of yeast straight into your gut? Primed with yogurt?

Seems like a “try this (exlax) chocolate bar” joke. I can only imagine the volcanic effect of that much of the yeast that I try so hard to keep out of my finished beer. Why would this yeast be any different?

Snopes.com writeup on this has some interesting commentary… but no conclusion… they still tag it as “undetermined”

I knew a guy that claimed if you ate a stick of butter before drinking that you could not get drunk no matter how many beers you drank… but who wants to eat a stick of butter and then drink. GROSS!!!

What is wrong with people anyway? I mean, yea, I consumed beer in large quantities off at college. Found out pretty quick that I had to be careful with it because I suffered no consequences - no hangovers. I was that jerk that the morning after drinking all night, I’d go down to the kitchen and start making bacon and eggs for breakfast. Apparently the smell of bacon in the morning doesn’t agree with people who have hangovers though.

But then I grew up and started drinking a better class of beer and no longer have any desire to be drunk. I have been guilty of sucking down a couple of 10.9% beers in a row before and got a bit tippy, but that’s enough. Most of my homebrews so far have been around a 5%. Have something with supper and maybe one with a cigar if I take my GSD for a walk or I’m just chilling in front of the fireplace in the winter. That’s all I really want anymore. I’ve been converting to the small Belgian bottles because they’re smaller than a 12 ounce and I told a couple people now that I’d love to start kegging because there are times where I just want a couple ounces and don’t want a full bottle. Maybe it’s a sign of a level of maturity that many people my age and younger just don’t ever grasp, I don’t know.

I saw that article earlier today. I wonder if bottle conditioned beers have any similar effect? I drink a beer or two everyday but I rarely drink enough to get drunk anymore. I guess I’ll have to experiment

Butter and yogurt maybe it has something to do with dairy products

But… forget the lure (or harbinger of doom) re: not getting drunk…

Eating a spoonful of yeast? Seriously? Don’t you envision assplosions like no other?

I hope someone out there is knowledgeable about this, but I heard doing the butter thing could kill you. It seems like Charley P. said something about the yeast thing a long time ago. It would be healthier for sure.

[quote=“Diesel Tonic”]Seriously?

Seems like a “try this (exlax) chocolate bar” joke. I can only imagine the volcanic effect of that much of the yeast that I try so hard to keep out of my finished beer. Why would this yeast be any different?

[/quote]

Um, I think someone, somewhere, has that totally backwards, and I double-checked Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_d ... d_bacteria

What’s more likely is that he’s developed a habit by which he never drinks on an empty stomach, thus slowing the absorption of alcohol into the bloodstream.

Why no officer I am not drunk, I ate some yeast to fix it. Good luck with that :wink:

Interesting info though. It does sound like a lot of yeast at one to one yeast and beers though. Or did I not get that right?

Looks like brewer’s yeast may indeed have the ADH2 enzyme that converts alcohol to CO2. It wouldn’t be expressed in a wort since expression is inhibited by high sugar.

[quote=“Silentknyght”][quote=“Diesel Tonic”]Seriously?

[/quote]

Um, I think someone, somewhere, has that totally backwards, and I double-checked Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_d ... d_bacteria

What’s more likely is that he’s developed a habit by which he never drinks on an empty stomach, thus slowing the absorption of alcohol into the bloodstream.[/quote]

Its not backwards, if you read the eiki you’ll see brewers yeast has ADH2 which converts ethanol to CO2. So I think there may be some merit to the idea that eating some brewer’s yeast will cause the destruction of alcohol. You don’t see a lot of this in a fermentation because the ADH is only expressed in low sugar situations, so in wort there is little ADH2 produced.

As for wanting to drink and not get drunk, I can see possibly doing this during a brew judging where you need to taste a couple of large flights in a single day.

The one time I met Jim Koch, it didn’t seem like this trick worked so well. “Stick to Ales!!!”

[quote=“tom sawyer”]

Its not backwards, if you read the eiki you’ll see brewers yeast has ADH2 which converts ethanol to CO2.[/quote]

I thought he was talking about active bread yeast, not brewers yeast. There’s even a picture of the bottle…

Bam.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/0 ... t=20140710

Nice article!

I don’t know the level of Jim Koch’s yeast knowledge but you think he would know that the yeast would attack the sugar well before it would try to feast on alcohol.