Secondary Fermenter indecision

So, to help others understand, to help eliminate O2, before transferring to your keg, you’ll fill your keg with water, then push it out with CO2, and then, just as you are to rack, carefully, quietly, slide the top off and proceed? Sneezles61

Autocorrect strikes again…

I suggest we start feeding the auto correct program some brews… maybe then it will understand a few of the brewing words… Sneezles61

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback everyone . A lot of well informed and articulately expressed opposition on the matter as I feared .It appears that I still have some time to deliberate as I’m still getting bubbles every fifteen seconds or so after nine days in the fermenter .I boiled with 9.9 lbs. of amber LME and apparently some healthy yeast. My biggest fear is oxidation and souring so I’m inclined to wave off the secondary and either dry hop in the primary? or in the keg?.I have a total of 6 oz of various hops in from 1st addition to flame out and want a bright citra note from dry hopping ( pellet or fresh vote needed) A local vendor has leaf Citra available . Once again thank you …all input very much appreciated .

Put the cones in now, let it finish fermenting and age for a bit before kegging… Sneezles61

I’ll pick up a couple oz’s of citra tomorrow . 11 days in as of tomorrow . How long would you say to keep in primary before kegging ? Also …if oxidation is the enemy can I just C02 the carboy when I add hops or just nor necessary ?? TY in advance

As an aside… if you have access to a farm with Citra… I’m wondering out loud how hard it would be to trim an errant shoot and plant it. I mean, theft of intellectual property is bad and all, but…

1 Like

Should your brew still be burping the air locker, then there is still some CO2 being produced. Just be quiet about it, no extra agitation. Watch for the air locker to stop, then, take a sample, test your gravity, keep it dark and in then in another 2-3 days test again… Oh, please taste it too… short of being flat as a pancake, you’ll get a good idea as to whats coming. To me this when the hops taste as good as they smell. Sneezles61

I added 2 oz. Citra whole leaf yesterday … burping is all done (that I can tell) today . drew a sample when I added the hops . Flavor is good , a bit dry and definately a “peppery” ? note to it . Ill give it a few days , rack it to the keg and fridge it . Hope for the best . How long to you generally force carbonate for before indulging ?

That really depends on you. Can’t wait, force carb. Can wait, set it and forget it. I will advocate to the fact, the longer you can wait while it slowly carbing, the better you will feel about your beer. I do rush it along from time to time, and about 2 weeks into it, very quaffable beer is had… Sneezles61

So …funny story . Accidentally destroyed my keg fridge on racking night . So I have 5 gallons of freshly racked IPA in the keg . I’ve got 5 lbs. of co2 on (no force carbonating) but currently have no means of refrigerating for a few days . Am I fine to leave it this way temporarily ? suggestions ? Thanks in adavance

You can leave it out for as long as you like doesn’t have to be kept cold. If you have a cold garage serve it from there if not stick it in a bucket of ice for serving.

Awsome …thanks! so 5lbs co2 is fine for slow carbing or is that another debate topic?

A 5lb CO2 tank or you have 5psi attached to the keg? The colder the beer the more readily the CO2 is absorbed. If your beer is at room temp you need MUCH more PSI to reach the desired volumes of CO2.

If you’re just storing the keg hit it with 20-30psi to set the lid. Leave it on there until the gas stops flowing in then remove the gas. Once you go to force carbonate put it in the kegerator and set the desired CO2.