Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Secondary fermentation.

Hi all, newbie here. Just got the deluxe kit for Christmas and had a question. The recipe for the American Wheat does not call for a secondary fermentation but I should since I have the equipment , right?

It’s personal preference… personally it’s not worth the time or effort. Do some searching and reading and decide for yourself.

Welcome to a great hobby. Just because you have a piece of equipment, it doesn’t mean you always need to use it. Good advice above, do some reading and learn more about the many ways to go about making beer, then decide what is right for you.

Thanks for the advice, I will do some research.

I’m in the same boat. After reading the 200, “did I ruin my beer?” posts, I have concluded that I’m on the right track. I got the deluxe kit too, and opted for the Irish Red extract kit. I also took advantage of a Christmas special that offered a free Caribou Slobber kit. I elected to cook the Slobber first with Irish Red on deck. From what I can tell, secondary is not necessary for either. However, in the interest freeing up my primary for the Irish Red, I am going to put the Slobber in secondary for a week or 2. I don’t want to rush it.

So far, the only minor NOOB mistake I’ve made was pitching at ~76°. I should have let it cool more. I had aggressive fermentation for the first 16 hours or so. Then I moved my wort, fashioned a swamp cooler to stabilize my temps. I am at day 11 with fermentation temps in the low to mid 60s and still have airlock activity. My kit didn’t come with a hydrometer so I ordered one but it hasn’t arrived yet. I am not going to transfer the Caribou Slobber until I can check the gravity. When I cook the Irish Red, I’ll probably just leave it in primary for ~3 weeks then go straight to bottles. With the help of the good folks on this forum, I am confident I will make GOOD BEER!

Personal opinion: If you’re not dry-hopping or doing bulk aging, then usually all you accomplish by racking to a secondary fermentor is creating another round of stuff to clean and another chance for something to go wrong.

[quote=“Brewski71”]I’m in the same boat. After reading the 200, “did I ruin my beer?” posts, I have concluded that I’m on the right track. I got the deluxe kit too, and opted for the Irish Red extract kit. I also took advantage of a Christmas special that offered a free Caribou Slobber kit. I elected to cook the Slobber first with Irish Red on deck. From what I can tell, secondary is not necessary for either. However, in the interest freeing up my primary for the Irish Red, I am going to put the Slobber in secondary for a week or 2. I don’t want to rush it.

So far, the only minor NOOB mistake I’ve made was pitching at ~76°. I should have let it cool more. I had aggressive fermentation for the first 16 hours or so. Then I moved my wort, fashioned a swamp cooler to stabilize my temps. I am at day 11 with fermentation temps in the low to mid 60s and still have airlock activity. My kit didn’t come with a hydrometer so I ordered one but it hasn’t arrived yet. I am not going to transfer the Caribou Slobber until I can check the gravity. When I cook the Irish Red, I’ll probably just leave it in primary for ~3 weeks then go straight to bottles. With the help of the good folks on this forum, I am confident I will make GOOD BEER![/quote]
Normally I’d agree with bunderbunder but if you have one primary carboy and you want to get a second brew fermenting I’d say make use of the 5 gal as a secondary. Sanitize well, rack it out and get the second batch fermenting.

[quote=“dannyboy58”][quote=“Brewski71”]I’m in the same boat. After reading the 200, “did I ruin my beer?” posts, I have concluded that I’m on the right track. I got the deluxe kit too, and opted for the Irish Red extract kit. I also took advantage of a Christmas special that offered a free Caribou Slobber kit. I elected to cook the Slobber first with Irish Red on deck. From what I can tell, secondary is not necessary for either. However, in the interest freeing up my primary for the Irish Red, I am going to put the Slobber in secondary for a week or 2. I don’t want to rush it.

So far, the only minor NOOB mistake I’ve made was pitching at ~76°. I should have let it cool more. I had aggressive fermentation for the first 16 hours or so. Then I moved my wort, fashioned a swamp cooler to stabilize my temps. I am at day 11 with fermentation temps in the low to mid 60s and still have airlock activity. My kit didn’t come with a hydrometer so I ordered one but it hasn’t arrived yet. I am not going to transfer the Caribou Slobber until I can check the gravity. When I cook the Irish Red, I’ll probably just leave it in primary for ~3 weeks then go straight to bottles. With the help of the good folks on this forum, I am confident I will make GOOD BEER![/quote]
Normally I’d agree with bunderbunder but if you have one primary carboy and you want to get a second brew fermenting I’d say make use of the 5 gal as a secondary. Sanitize well, rack it out and get the second batch fermenting.[/quote]
Yes, or buy a bucket for $16 and double your fermentation capabilities.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... ucket.html
Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com