Secondary fermentation is a good thing

For some reason it seems to be a forbidden topic on brewing forums. Too many sheep saying that you should never do it. But I have been doing it for years now with great results. In fact I finally got around to priming a keg and getting a batch in it that I brewed some time around April. Temps haven’t been that great in the apartment over the summer but the beer got through it no problem. I just tasted the first pour off of the keg and it tastes great, no off flavors at all. So secondary is used as a way to store beer until kegging. And Byron Burch, who is an award winning brewer and who wrote a book about homebrew (three different editions) also recommends it as do I. I will always use a second carboy for secondary fermentation as the beer comes out like I want it to come out. Screw the doubters!

BTW, I always go to secondary as soon as the foam crashes on primary. Unless I am adding fruit puree and then I add that to primary and let it foam up once again and then crash again… Sometimes that means that the beer goes to secondary in as little as two or three days…

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I do a lot of secondary vessels as well now. I do think my beer is better as a result but I don’t think it’s necessary all the time. I’m doing a primary only saison right now because I know this yeast will flocculate well.

1 Like

Good to hear. But last year I got flamed hard on a forum and it was a joke. A real case of group non-think at best. Frankly after getting that last batch into the keg recently it once again convinced me of the benefits of secondary. Nice clean smooth beer, even though it was brewed some time around April or early May. It had been in the closet all summer and temps even reached 80 in the apartment. But it seems to have had no ill effects on the beer at all. So I am a firm believer.

Also, I believe that timing is important when using a secondary and I alway siphon to secondary immediately after the foam crashes in primary. That is, unless I am using fruit and then I add that to primary and wait for the foam to crash a second time, and then transfer…

Had the exact same experience last year but the beer was only in the closet until August that time. 2020 really screwed up everything and that last batch just sat patiently…

Nothing wrong with doing a secondary. I do it sometimes just not on a quick beer like an IPA. As far as not recommending it and I think most people on here may agree. Is the first time brewer I don’t think it is a priority need to get technique down but maybe not. Don’t understand why someone would make fun of it

3 Likes

One of the biggest proponents of secondary Usage unfortunately is not active on here anymore. I agree with @brew_cat … it is generally not necessary but there is nothing wrong with it. You will likely get clearer beer as a result. There is some increased risk of oxidation but it can be done carefully. You certainly shouldn’t be “flamed” for it.

2 Likes

Me do most the time. Secondary. Fermentor. When i dry hop. Do see. When using secondary. Fermentor. My beer. Becomes. Much cleaner. Think they call it a brightning tank. On the end its our own choice. Some brewers agree. Some dont

2 Likes

Sounds like you’ve been hanging around the wrong preachy forums… while I may think a secondary vessel is a waste of time for most of the beers I brew, it’s up to everyone else what works for them.

It’s your beer treat it how you like.

3 Likes

Yeah, preachy forums. I don’t care for that. I developed my current system over the course of some 30 years or so and it works great and produces wonderful beers. Last year I made an Old Peculiar clone that was off the charts delicious. People were telling me that I should bottle and sell it. LOL. But I always take the time to do it right. And, for me, that means a secondary always. I realize that it is not necessary but I also don’t buy into the paranoia about it either. When done right it can definitely aid in getting a nice clean beer.

1 Like

I have not been back to those forums since and do appreciate the fact that here that attitude is not present.

1 Like

I still think… Your approach makes sense… I’ll give it a try soon…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Hello. Do you add yeast for the secondary fermentation? Thanks!

No, the term secondary fermentation is a misnomer. When your beer goes into the secondary it is nearly complete. The yeast is done multiplying and there is nothing left for them to consume. So the secondary is about finishing up the beer not about fermentation.

2 Likes