Second beer O G in parti-gyle

I’m planning a three gallon 1.105 barleywine later in the year. If I put another three gallons of 150 f water in the mash tun and mash it an additional 45 minutes what kind of O G can I expect on the second brew?

For the same volume, I usually get 50% of the first runnings.

The rules of thumb I’ve heard (for fly sparging) are:

You get 1/2 of the gravity points in the first third of the runnings; and

You get 2/3 of the gravity points in the first half of the runnings.

Using the second thumb rule, if you got 330 gravity points in three gallons in the first 3 gallons, you would get 165 gravity points in your second runnings, or an OG of about 1.053.

That’s a total of about 500 gravity points between the two beers. 18 pounds of grain at 37 points per gallon at 75% efficiency gives about 500 gravity points.

Of course this is an overly simple calculation which does not include evaporation during the boil and the resulting concentration of the wort.

Parti-gyle refers to batch sparging.

[quote=“Brewbeer22”]The rules of thumb I’ve heard (for fly sparging) are:

You get 1/2 of the gravity points in the first third of the runnings; and

You get 2/3 of the gravity points in the first half of the runnings.

Using the second thumb rule, if you got 330 gravity points in three gallons in the first 3 gallons, you would get 165 gravity points in your second runnings, or an OG of about 1.053.

That’s a total of about 500 gravity points between the two beers. 18 pounds of grain at 37 points per gallon at 75% efficiency gives about 500 gravity points.

Of course this is an overly simple calculation which does not include evaporation during the boil and the resulting concentration of the wort.[/quote]

That’s in the ball park; close enough for me. Thanks. :cheers:

[quote=“TG”]Parti-gyle refers to batch sparging.[/quote]I’m guessing that the OP meant to say that he would “mash it for 45 minutes” because adding the sparge water to the MT and then fly-sparging doesn’t make any sense.

OOPSIE.
I corrected it.

[quote=“Rookie L A”]OOPSIE. I corrected it.[/quote]Mashing again won’t change the gravity of the wort unless you add fresh grain to the mashtun along with the sparge water. This is a common practice for boosting the gravity of the second runnings.

[/quote]Mashing again won’t change the gravity of the wort unless you add fresh grain to the mashtun along with the sparge water.[/quote]

I’ll most likely add at least a bit of crystal, maybe some victory.

[quote=“Rookie L A”]
I’ll most likely add at least a bit of crystal, maybe some victory.[/quote]

Good call, a pound of crystal/victory will give a nice flavor boost to the small beer.